Filtration, Lighting and any other advice for a new 6 x 2 x 2 cichlid tank

SophSixx

Hi guys, just wanted some feedback or advice on a new 6 foot tank. I've gone through some of the faq on this forum but can't quite seem to find a newer thread on filtration. I'm a newbie to the fish keeping world and have had a blue planet 50gal running for approx 7 weeks. Well, after doing a lot more research these last few weeks I decided to go for a second tank, 6x2x2. I am very new to this and although the LFS seem to be extremely nice and helpful I don't want to fall victim to a sales pitch either. They are offering me a Fluval FX6 which seems like a great filter by the reviews on line but am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with it? Do I run the cannister with the included media or should I replace some with something else? I also have an unboxed Fluval G3, ( was origianlly going to put it onto the smaller tank ) can I also use this as extra filtration or will do nothing pairing it up with the FX6?

Also, what is a good lighting system? Looking at a mixed african cichlid tank so something that will bring out the colors of the fish. I also want something reliable. The LFS also were saying some people also use LED's although they also said that I probably wouldn't need them for this type of tank.

Do I need anything else for the tank? I have had a look through some pictures and videos and there are quite a few that have no bubbles in the tank. Is this not a requirement on a larger tank? or does it only depend on how many fish you put into the tank?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i believe the fx6 is a good filter but no experience id go sump as that what i eventually did after running two old style ehiems. sump gives you far more options with media etc and less maintance system and you can hide your heater and bubles in there if necessary. lighting maybe a preference thing i have a hailde system old fashioned expensive to run but bright it also has led lights incorporated which i mostly run. in a tank that size wave makers are handy to move the water and keep dead spots in the tank a bit cleaner. but all in all the bigger you go the less maintance well i reckon anyways.

• FX6 are great filters, I have the older model FX5 and has run for many years trouble free. Holds a lot of media, and doesn't have a ridiculous flow rate. The couplings and piping are also good quality. I notice a lot of people harp on about wanting HEAPS of flow out of their canister filters, I would personally rather a canister that holds more media with a somewhat reduced flow. It gives more contact time for the bacteria to do its job. The Germans (eheim) have known this for many years, look at some of their larger canisters the flow rate isn't all that massive compared to the amount of media being held. They are onto something, this so no accident.
  • I'm not sure what the FX6 comes with media wise - most likely just foam. Foam/matting provides good mechanical filtration and in time decent biological filtration. I would add some 'biological media' to this - marine pure comes highly recommended, noodles, eheim substrat pro etc. There are lots of options. My favourite is K1 media, but can't be run in a canister filter due to its need to be circulated to work effectively. Also, do not use bioballs in this application, bioballs work the best when water is dripped over them creating a highly oxygenated environment for the bacteria to thrive in, being used in a canister their effectiveness would be greatly reduced.
  • Adding and extra canister will not hurt. In fact it is a good idea, and you have a redundancy plan if something happens to one of them and you aren't left without a filter. As you are aware, adding a new unseeded new filter does not remedy your main filter going down in the short term.
  • My personal preference would be a sump (as previously mentioned), much more versatile and can configure them to your own specifications. As you are a new fish keeper, I'd stick to a quality canister (fx6), there's absolutely nothing wrong with them and will provide you with everything you need. Sumps are great but can be a pain if they are not planned and built accordingly, and you will also have to have your tank predrilled (usually) and will need to do all your own plumbing etc. Whack on the FX6 fill it with quality media and enjoy.
  • Bubbles - is just for added aeration/oxygenation (surface agitation is what creates more oxygen in the water, not diffusion of oxygen through the bubbles traveling through the water column) not needed if you already have good 'flow/surface agitation'. Some people also like the aesthetics of it. I do like that airstones create an 'upwelling' from bottom to top of water movement rather than the standard straight across the tank that many spraybars/powerheads will create (if the outtake is placed horizontal).
  • Lighting is your own personal preference, and budget. Ask 10 different people and they will all give you different answers. Try have a look at some displays and have a look what you like and try emulate that.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Thank you for your advice. The whole sump idea is a little daunting to me at the moment, feel like a little kid starting school when it comes to it. I had a look at a marine set up a few months ago and got totally turned off by all the plumbing and requirements which is why I never really looked into a sump.

I'll ask about wave makers when I go in to pick up all the equipment tomorrow. Are they the same as powers heads or completely different? ( amateur in me coming out sorry )

Hopefulley they can show me the difference in lighting and what's actually needed.

I do like the ones that are in the blue planet 50gal at the moment, not sure what they are but there is 2 blue and the rest white which makes the tank look fantastic. Do lights make a difference to algae growth? ( sorry again, I have no clue at all about lights )

Cannisters are not more maintenance intensive than a sump, in fact I would say less, a sump does offer more options though and better filtration or bigger capacity for better filtration. Sumps are noisier, it is almost impossible to make a sump totally quiet, having said that a DC pump and a durso setup will reduce noise to an acceptable level for almost everyone.

Lost of people rag on the fx6 filter, I have never owned one but have had a few fluval filters over the years, and will say that fluval are a good filter, Eheim in my opinion are better but this comes at a cost, and the cost is $$.

I will also agree that people are nuts about flow rate these days, some get all tied up in knots about it. Some call for 10 - 20 times tank turnover rate, I prefer one or two small power heads and a slower flow rate for the sump or filter, a 6 x 2 x 2, would be 5000lph or so, remember this will equate to approx 3000 - 3500lph at a 1.5m head height.

Don't be scared to get the fluval, it will be fine and it will do a nice job on that tank, I would invest the wattage overhead in wavemakers rather than a backup filter though.

I would suggest for a 6x2x2 tank you think more about a sump setup. Otherwise you will be running 2 canister filters, 2x 300w heaters and a good air stone or two inside the display tank.

Understand the options and differences before taking the easy plug and play.

The basic upside of the sump would be to hide and maintain some basic items, also the ability to keep NO3 at lower levels for longer. While having a greater volume of filter media easily add a few stockings full of shells, limestones pieces and well as pack a section with lavarocks will make life easier for yourself in the maintenance and life of the display tank.

Aim for at least twice and no higher then 6x the total water volume of the display tank would need to be filtered each hour.

It sounds like sump really is the way to go yet I am totally daunted by the task as I am no plumber and have no idea what I'm doing! At this stage I think I will stick to the canisters, as mentioned I already have the G3 so will put that on along with either the FX6 or have a world to the LFS about an Eheim.

I will also get 2 power heads (again not sure if there is a difference between wave makers and powerheads). There is just so much to consider. Or I may just ask the LFS if they can help with setting up all the plumbing for me when they deliver my tank or even guiding me through it, I have no problem with waiting a few more weeks, best to do it right the first time I guess.

Time to head down and have a word with them on prices on this option.

im not sure how a sump is more work than a filter since ive had sump my time between maintance has doubled and its a lot easier to doo no pulling filters apart to get to filter material and then having to get air out of filters to get em working again, just switch off pump clean filter material stick it back in and turn pump back on easy peasy. i was daunted by it to six but if you can work your way threw it your self you will understand it better. if you search sumps hear you will find plenty of advice and informative subjects.

Yes heaps less maintenance with sumps.

If incorrect type and positioning of mechanical medias are used, then you would have increased sump maintenance, but it would still be easier than canisters for maintenance.

But nothing wrong with canisters,, what's a extra 20 minutes or so to clean ???

Just think about gravity water intake feeds and valves with operation of canisters for connecting and disconnection (for self priming).

Also FX series will auto turn off and back on just minutes after you turned it on,, this is a auto function that releases the caught air bubbles.

Fx models are quite and work exceptionally well.

If inside and tank is display, I recommend the fx for sure.

Sumps are more used for much larger tanks and breeding or multiple set ups.

And the next level of challenge for the experienced aquarist.

Ok guys, so I've just gotten back from the LFS and have ordered a 6x2x2, 12mm tank and a sump...he assured me he will fit everything for me while I looked on. He showed me one of his sumps on an impressive 10foot tank and said all I really had to change was the wool, so I have gone this route. 3 weeks till installation. Wish I read the comments before I walked out about the lighting as I didn't order them as yet, he told me to do some research and get back to him about that. I'm excited yet trembling in my boots as I have no sump experience! Looking forward to reading more on this forum to get me on track!

Well done!

I recently had a sump made and did all the plumbing etc

• A couple things to consider and pointers - on any threaded joins use thread tape, and then add a little more thread tape. I had some issues with my threaded joins leaking even though they were thread taped, had to pull it all apart and smash the thread tape on. Also make sure that you are applying the thread tape in the correct direction otherwise you will ruin it when you connect the two joins. PVC glue all your non threaded joins - be aware that this stuff sets pretty fast and you need to be sure what you are doing before you apply it.
  • Another trick is to cut everything join it all together (without tape and glue) - stand back look at it be happy with the configuration then pull apart and tape and glue. Also align all your pieces of plumbing and get a permanent marker and put a small dot on each piece of plumbing once together so you know how the two pieces fit into each other once glued to ensure that are sitting at the correct angles (align each make you previously made once the glue is on and in place) (hope this makes sense).
  • Plumbing - Measure twice cut once.
  • What is the configuration of the sump? What return pump are you planning on using?
  • When filling your tank NEVER add water through your sump, add water through your display. If you do it this way you will never flood your house if/when the power goes out. This kind of has a double benefit as you won't be adding chlorinated water to your sump, and potentially harm the beneficial bacteria in it with the chlorine - adding to the tank will give your dechlorinator (and dilute the chlorine) before it reaches your beneficial bacteria.

im not sure how a sump is more work than a filter since ive had sump my time between maintance has doubled and its a lot easier to doo no pulling filters apart to get to filter material and then having to get air out of filters to get em working again, just switch off pump clean filter material stick it back in and turn pump back on easy peasy. i was daunted by it to six but if you can work your way threw it your self you will understand it better. if you search sumps hear you will find plenty of advice and informative subjects.

Yeah true, but it's such an easy job cleaning a properly designed canister, I would not use maintenance for either as a choice decider. Sump has a lot more options though, can do nitrate reduction, omg the list goes on! Only downside in a sump is potential for flooding, although this would be user error and noise. :-)

Do not get flouro's, LEDs are better these days, so many lower wattage options, flouro's are not worth the hassel, a four tube flouro will cost as much as an led and use more power. You could make the flouro yourself, but why bother, don't buy into the expensive hype of certain LEDs though, not if the tank is not planted.

pvc was banned from the plumbing industry for water pipes 30years ago not sure id use it on a fish tank myself but can get threaded poly pipes easy to doo and recently sore one done in blue line purchesed through reece or bunnings.

Flex Tube - Tiger Pipe or Pond Tubing. eg. http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-25mm-x-3m-anti-kink-tubing_p2813677 and http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-25mm-hose-clamps-4-pack_p2810215

Just make sure to have a ball valve and a one way valve on the sump return to tank.

Add a duckbill on the end like this and win - http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=5640&name=U-Bend%20Return%20Pipe%2019-25mm

I am not actually doing the plumbing, just watching while the nice lad at the LFS does it all for me! That is something I really have no idea about. Will make sure I ask as many questions as possible though. As for lights, I've been reading through the forum so will have to sort these out ASAP, I've seen some very expensive LED's but will take the advice of not having to go super crazy on $$$. Are there certain brands I should be avoiding? Price ranges? Have been browsing through the net and saw some but they are $800-$1300 ? No plants in this set up, pretty sure the fish I plan on keeping would dig them up. Going for some nice rocks and want the fish themselves being the highlight of the tank.

Do I still need the wave maker when using a sump?

Flex Tube - Tiger Pipe or Pond Tubing. eg. http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-25mm-x-3m-anti-kink-tubing_p2813677 and http://www.bunnings.com.au/aquapro-25mm-hose-clamps-4-pack_p2810215

Just make sure to have a ball valve and a one way valve on the sump return to tank.

Add a duckbill on the end like this and win - http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=5640&name=U-Bend%20Return%20Pipe%2019-25mm

Is this something standard? I'm paying the guy at the LFS do all the plumbing, fitting etc...

No reason not to be, that is what I'm about to do it as my 6x2x2 only has one end against a wall sticking out into the room :spaz:

So hard piping wouldn't look good and I kinder like the option on been able to pull it apart easy.

The duckbill outlet will be sitting under the surface of the water, so a one way check valve would stop a siphon back into my sump if power failure.

Ball valve is to regulate the flow into the display tank.

For the wave maker, I say yes, one reason is you can place them in the tank to blow the debris towards your filter helping to reduce waste, another to create surface agitation helping oxygenate the water and third they just love swimming in the current (even thou most didn't come from places with much current in the water).

As long as it doesn't blow your fish around the tank, no reason not to use one if you wanted to.

I'm going against the trend in this topic. yes sumps are awesome but there are so many ways to set them up that if you get 10 people together you are almost guaranteed that you will get 10 different responses and opinions.

Sumps, for me at least are something you design as your experience builds. Sumps are usually something you build when you have a solid idea of what your building (tank system)

You also need to realize that sumps are nearly always noisy to some extent. there wouldn't be a forum on the planet that doesn't have a topic called 'how can I make my sump quieter'. If its not in your living area then its a problem that may not be an issue. If you have your sump running in a lounge or dining area then noise is a consideration worth taking into account. You are placing alot of trust and money into your tank builder that he can design and build a sump system that suits your needs.

Canisters are perfect especially for a new fishkeeper. you plug it in and every few months you unplug it and clean the mechanical filtration of the canister. It doesn't get much easier and they are almost completely silent. The only time mine make noise is when they are telling me that they need a clean.

As for wave makers, some people swear by them and some dont. It depends on your situation. Personally I enjoy the look of air in tanks if its something you want to sit down and enjoy while mechanical filtration like powerheads and wavemakers have a definite logical benefit.

I'm having anxiety about the flooding possibility with the sump. I did ask the guy at the LFS what happens if something like this were to happen and his response was, "No, no don't worry it won't." Could this be because he is installing everything for me or maybe the way he's designing it?"

I'm having sleepless nights over this sump!

I didn't even consider the noise factor, yes it's going in a lounge room where we spend most of our time. I may have to go back to the LFS in the morning and talk through all of my concerns...so frustrating not knowing what your doing. ?

Archived