New build - sump advice needed

DWBN

Another media question ...

How do I setup the mechanical section? I've seen lots of people use the white polishing wool as the first contact layer and then course foam underneath. I'm confused as I thought you would go course to fine - ie the polishing layer as the last layer before it hits the biological section.

Any tips on where to get filter foam/wool? My lfs is super expensive.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No with foam u go course to fine, the course picks up bigger particles first and then the particle size decreases through the layers. If you put fine first the large particles will block it very quickly.

Spot on ^^^^

Bunnings sells a landscaping loose soil matting for stabilizing.

It's also used around soak wells on installation to stop sand getting inside.

The massive 30m long roll by 1m wide also states on packaging 'filter matting'

$30 a roll,,, poos all over wool.

Super cheap, so its disposable,,,, but high pressure cleaner cleans it to.

• 2 weeks later...

try doing a search on the bunnings site for "drain matting"

it comes up with "Everhard Drain Matting"

Does anyone know if this stuff is safe to use? Anti-mold, anti-bacterial ? etc..

Question for those with sumps, I've got 1.5 inch holes drilled, but when the bulk head is installed the standpipe and outlet to sump taper down to 1". Are there any bulkheads available that allow for a larger diameter inlet and outlet? It's a bit too late to drill bigger holes and I thought 1.5inch would have been plenty! Cheers

From BRS

30mm Glass Drill bit works with our 1/2" ABS Bulkheads.

35mm Glass Drill bit works with our 3/4" ABS Bulkheads.

42mm Glass Drill bit works with our 3/4" heavy duty SCH 80 Bulkheads.

45mm Glass Drill bit works with our 1" ABS Bulkheads.

48mm Glass Drill bit works with our 1" heavy duty SCH 80 Bulkheads.

60mm Glass Drill bit works with our 1.5" ABS Bulkheads.

65mm Glass Drill bit works with our 1.5" heavy duty SCH 80 Bulkheads.

75mm Glass Drill bit works with our 2" ABS Bulkheads.

85mm Glass Drill bit works with our 2" Heavy Duty SCH 80 Bulkheads.

Yep, turns out my drilled hole is 42mm and the new bulkhead I got was 48mm, although it was labelled 42mm!

Back to the drawing board. With a 42mm hole, by the time the bulkhead is in, and the standpipe installed, the diameter of the standpipe is just under 1". I was really hoping for at least a 1.25 or 1.5" standpipe.

I'm concerned that my tank is pretty big (650L) and my return pump is a fluval SP4 (7500L/H). From my reading, a 1" standpipe on full siphone will only flow approx 2500L/H.

Would there be any merit in having a 1.5" standpipe, reducing to 1" through the bulkhead and then back to 1.5" piping?

Don't overthink it, you will find it will probably be ok, and yes although the 1inch hole is a restriction that is how I would pipe it, 1.5 down to 1. My tank is 800L with two 25mm drains but my pump is only 5000LPH, which is flowing roughly 3000LPH. I have 1 full siphon and an emergency siphon, if you pump is too strong just T it back to the bio section.

My return line is 25mm with a 20mm bulkhead.

Cheers mate - I'll do the 1.5 -->1

Also, my plumbing setup underneath will be split into three filter socks. Plumbing under the tank from the bulkead will be 1". Do you think I would still get full siphone splitting into three sections?

• 1 month later...

Archived