do you think this is a turkis?

Donny Brasco

I recently bought a few fish from someone shutting down there tank.
They wernt 100% what species it was and when i mentioned it looked like a turkis they said they think that might have been it.

I would like some confirmation before i go trying to breed them soon but do you think this is a aulonocara turkis (yes i understand there a morph/hybrid)

20151026_1002421_zpst9rstfgn.jpg

The lighting and photo isnt the best his tail and anal fins are more black tips, just looks brownish in the pic.
From all info i have found a turkis is a man made hybrid/morph of a aulonocara stuartgranti chilumba, which are generally a lot darker and have red side, tail and anal finds.

So wat do you think, have i scored a sweet male turkis or is it something different all together?

i might come across a little harsher than I mean to be..maybe not...just asking...

Why would you want to have anything to do with hybrids? Everyone I know, in every state, especially any forum associated with a cichlid society forum, spend their whole time fighting hybrids entering the system. There is a reason that hybrids are not welcome.

Most of us have spent alot of time and effort to prevent rubbish from being entered into the hobby and its for the longevity of the hobby in the long term.

Cut a long story short..if its hybrid, you dont want it. If you want to breed hybrid then its on your own reputation!!

If you are not 100 percent sure then dont sell (or buy) the fish.

You need to be fussy to be a breeder !

It must be understood that if fish havnt come from a trusted reliable source that labels the fish as pure,,, then even experienced pro's can't look at fish that have so many locality variations and be absolutely certain of the correct label.

I Definetely are all for keeping purity in pure fish.

I'm also all for keeping purity of designer peacocks which are referred to as hybrids, but I call (locational mixes).

Being careful in the same way with locational mixes and actual pure fish,,, actually helps to keep true identities segregated.

As after all, designer peacocks are here to stay.

Ethics can get a little technical, but it's pretty important,,, don't forget that the original people buying these original stock from overseas are paying big bux compared to what they resell here locally,,,, so don't undo all that,,, its time, dedication and money to get them here in the first place..... :)

WHEN I FIRST STARTED ..I WOULD BUY FISH HERE AND THERE

NOW I HAVE LEARNT IF I GO TO THE PERSONS HOUSE AND HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT FISH HE HAS....I DONT BUY

UNLESS FROM EXPERIENCE I KNOW THE FISH AND CAN TELL THE SPIECES ...

MAYBE THIS MAYBE THAT .....I DONT TOUCH IT

LET ALONE BREED THEM ....

NICE LOOKING FISH...DISPLAY TANK.

AND ONTOP BEING PEACOCK FEMALES GET MIXED SO EASILY IF THE ORIGINAL KEEPER HAS NO IDEA....

:)

Staying away from the hybrid/line-bred situation for a minute. Because I have zero idea on the origins of a "Turkis" peacock...

But no matter what the fish is that you want to breed - if you aren't 100% certain on the fish, then you run the risk of getting stuck with a bunch of garbage/culls to get rid of if you later find out it isn't what you hoped/thought.
Remove the confusion. Start your colony off with only what you are sure is exactly what you want.
The chances of finding amazing quality breeding stock (of any species) from a display tank being shut down and from someone who doesn't really remember what the fish is, is basically zero.

you all make valid points how ever the owner wasnt some random collecting pretty fish, they had an unreal range and bought most of them from keysborough aquarium which is all import wc or german bred, also from devon at barnesys cichlid heaven who is also known for great quality but then she has a mirror ball, a blue otter and a malawi trout which she bought from sydney, she had cracker fish, eye biters, red shoulders, rubins a sweet buM midnight litho "but was already sold :(
this was the only one she couldnt remember the name of, it looks very much like a turkis from all my google searching and youtube videos and when i mentioned to her that is what it looks like she seem to recall that being what it was.
Im not doubting her because she had all really high quality and pure fish, i was just more so after peoples opinions that it was infact a turkis or if they believe it looks like something else.

She said it came from mings in keyborough so im assuming it must have come from germany correct?

Aulonocara sp. “Turkis”—ML (Europe).....(The story--personally told to us in Germany by a respected authority and colleague of Ad Konings and the source of our original specimens--is that this form was produced in Germany from an actual "mutant" specimen of a wild-caught Aulonocara stuartgranti Chilumba. Mutant forms can be produced in nature, and they need not be hybrids.)

From Armkes site

so Turkis was line bred in Europe from a non Chilumba peacock that was in a shipment of wild caught Chilumba, next question what did they bred it to

this is different senario to "Rubens" that were line bred from Chipoka Orange for colour intensity

nice display fish

i think they are all accepted :)

but as long as you know what they are 100% not a guess...the domino effect is massive

and if you are wanting to get in to peacocks you need to have dedicated grow out tanks and so on..

like i mentioned it is so easy to mix up fry or a female....very very hard to tell the difference

Hi donny, I remember when meng got Turkis in. he had a few in a tank I watched for awhile. the pic you have doesn't quite look the same could be the angle/light/different food/stress, it could be, but from that pic I Wouldn't say it definitely is.

to me a hybrid is a hybrid Turkis, Dragonblood, OB

if it doesn't have a designated scientific name and collection locale then

it's not true species

Hybrids so long as fashionable are a fact of the hobby but true strain is

were the work needs to be to ensure they stay true to species

Aulonacara have the worst track record of African species as far as causing

headaches with keeping them true - the only saving grace is they are an allowed

import so you get to start again if they get screwed up

Yes true and pure strains is where the acts of preservation needs to be sure, and that's what's all these forums are about to.

But can I just say,, don't forget the dedicated relentless hard work that goes into line breeding the designer peacocks to make them so attractive and colorful.

Doing the wrong thing also unravels the quality and hard work done.

Archived