Some of my cats...

Southwestroyalty

Yeah, it used to live at Vebas (another Perth store), and I remember my mum drove me there to buy it (before I had my license) so I must have been 16 (my next birthday will be my 30th) at the time and cost me $450. I remember that because the tank was not labelled as it was a display fish, and had to ask the owner at the time how much he wanted for the fish and he said "It is pretty expensive fish mate, I would want $450 for it", I was stoked at the time as it was FAR less than I was expecting, so I told him bag it up.I figured it would be an absolute fortune! I think it was at Vebas for about a year because I used to look at it each time i went there. The fish was about 45cm at the time, so Figure it would have been a year or two old at the time. So a pretty safe estimate would be the fish is now ~18 years old. 

Which is amazing as the new owners at Midland have killed most of the previous owners display fish (most of which I sourced for him) including a pair of Motoro rays (back when pups were $1600ea) and an African Lungfish. The lungfish was one of the coolest fish I have ever seen on display in Perth and the only one I have ever seen in the flesh in Oz, the only other fish I enjoyed seeing as much as that guy was the Arapaima Vebas used to have. Not bad to kill an African Lungy seeing as they can estivate in mud! The Wallago was also fed almost exclusively on goldfish for about a decade and some how survived the threat of fatty liver disease and 'thiaminase poisoning' - A true survivor of the Perth fish scene. To be honest I have always thought I would buy this fish back at some stage, and still might. The current owners quoted me a pretty outlandish price on this fish considering its feeding requirements, age and knowing the price of what I originally paid for this fish all these years ago puts me off. I am fairly certain the previous owner priced each individual exotic display fish pretty high when he sold the business, so I am sure they are just trying to recoup of some that money (plus the 'deads' along the way).

Anyway enough dribble out of me I have derailed this thread enough. 

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Alex said:

Yeah, it used to live at Vebas (another Perth store), and I remember my mum drove me there to buy it (before I had my license) so I must have been 16 (my next birthday will be my 30th) at the time and cost me $450. I remember that because the tank was not labelled as it was a display fish, and had to ask the owner at the time how much he wanted for the fish and he said "It is pretty expensive fish mate, I would want $450 for it", I was stoked at the time as it was FAR less than I was expecting, so I told him bag it up.I figured it would be an absolute fortune! I think it was at Vebas for about a year because I used to look at it each time i went there. The fish was about 45cm at the time, so Figure it would have been a year or two old at the time. So a pretty safe estimate would be the fish is now ~18 years old. 

Which is amazing as the new owners at Midland have killed most of the previous owners display fish (most of which I sourced for him) including a pair of Motoro rays (back when pups were $1600ea) and an African Lungfish. The lungfish was one of the coolest fish I have ever seen on display in Perth and the only one I have ever seen in the flesh in Oz, the only other fish I enjoyed seeing as much as that guy was the Arapaima Vebas used to have. Not bad to kill an African Lungy seeing as they can estivate in mud! The Wallago was also fed almost exclusively on goldfish for about a decade and some how survived the threat of fatty liver disease and 'thiaminase poisoning' - A true survivor of the Perth fish scene. To be honest I have always thought I would buy this fish back at some stage, and still might. The current owners quoted me a pretty outlandish price on this fish considering its feeding requirements, age and knowing the price of what I originally paid for this fish all these years ago puts me off. I am fairly certain the previous owner priced each individual exotic display fish pretty high when he sold the business, so I am sure they are just trying to recoup of some that money (plus the 'deads' along the way).

Anyway enough dribble out of me I have derailed this thread enough. 

There are several wallago and arapima still kicking around. Another scary predatory fish is the aba aba when it gets big. Scary as in worry about your own safety. More ferocious then giant snakeheads. 

On 11/25/2015 at 10:16 AM, Teamsherman said:

Little Borneo Sucker yeah?

Are they able to be bred in captivity? My local aquarium has some in and they look awesome. What are they like to keep with others?

Yep. We have a breeder here in Brissy that supplies shops/hobbyists.

• 2 weeks later...

Fish Dance - Good to know there are still wall ago and arapaima floating around. Amazing the colour morphs of arapaima that are now starting to pop up on the regular overseas, the lucky buggers. 

Yeah Aba Aba are a crazy beast of a fish.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived