Bean Animal Overflow

FREAQ

So I've been researching different sump designs and how to get the water from my tank to the sump and I'm very impressed by the dual fail safe and the silent run of the water our of the tank in this design http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Although I will want to run the overflow box on the outside but this is a small change and wont effect the operation.

My first issue is though I have a fish box full of bio balls I planned to use in a trickle sump but the way the water gets to the sump wont really work in a trickle situation, so I'm open to suggestions about possibly making a custom sump to get the water possibly in a weir and then the water comes up and over across a drip plate with graduated holes so it all doesn't run down in the first 100mm or so and not get to cover all of the media.

Also has anyone had any experience with using a bean animal overflow set up and how did it go for you?

Firstly if you are not running a marine tank you do not need the three down pipe of the full beananimal. I've had a Full Siphon and a Durso. Its so quite that I now have a problem with the noise of my pump.

As to your trickle I really have no idea how to make that silent. If fact I do not think its possible.

I don't see how the bean animal is only for marine it has a double redundancy so if both of your two returns to the sump somehow get blocked there is the third one to save you from disaster, also the other advantage one you have it set running properly it's self starting no priming or fiddling is necessary from a power outage or stopping the pump for water changes etc.

But yes this best for a fully submerged sump system but I wanted to try and adapt it to what I have and not spend a whole lot of money when I already have all the bio media I need.

Well, Marine has some many things which can go wrong and block a pipe. Fresh water just does not have those issues. So a single back is enough, of-cause if you have the room its not going to add to the cost that much to have the three down pipes.

My siphon has always self started no fiddling. :)

Three is fine, so is two, bean animal, durso, bubble buster all good technologies, just choose your animal and go for it. I run a single Durso but my new tank will have a Durso and backup, self starting has never been a problem for me.

• 2 weeks later...

is the tank in a cabinet or just a breeding tank or open display (no hood).is it possible to have a tank made up to sit on top of your existing tank and use it as an overhead sump therefor you only need a pump inside the tank to pump water up to it.have your little dividers in it and a hole at the bottom so water can flow back to youyr tank to cut noise you could easily put a peice of pipe on the exit to sit just above water level so its not as noisy when it splashes down.youll also only need a smallish pump but big enough to get the water turning over enough

or go a side drop filter which means if you dont have a spare tank hit your local aquarium up or a mate who has some spare space and get one installed just kjeep some of the water so you dont need to cycle the tank again.

Archived