High volume air pump

pjmowens

Ok so the cheapskate in me won out and I opted to get a hailea v-30.

ATM I can't fault it. It pumps a decent amount of air and is virtually in audible ( less than my overflows anyway).

I'm going to buy a spare diaphragm kit as I'm expecting lifetime may be the only down fall. Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice

It can be set up in a way that doesn't make noise.

It can also be set up in a way that does.

I use a submersed poly ring beam with 360 degree micro retic sprayers spaced even around submersed manifold.

It gives very coarse fast rising bubbles.

It's a overhead k media only sump.

So this is noisy.

But I've seen in many instances in common sumps, where k is used without bubbles and is getting its tumble due to water movement and space shape it's sitting. As long as its all moving.

Thoroughly recommend it,,, intense biological filtration power 100% of the time,,, regardless how blocked up other filters or sections get.

K media doesn't block and stays 100% effective/reliable.

Allows to overstock fish, over feed to a reasonable degree, dead fish in tank wont be so disastrous.

Using K media combined with maintaining high levels of KH makes a outstanding filtration force.

Super charged filtration.

I had it in the rhs chamber with water flow only originally. Incoming water travelled over a 20mm horizontal piece of glass and create a waterfall effect. Creates some noise though. Alleviated with higher water level.

You can use power heads but can clog a little around the powerhead itself.

The main benefit of using air to create turbulent movement is that the extra o2 promotes more heathy bacteria similar to wet/dry trickle filters.

Pretty much as Pjm said.

The area usually has to fairly narrow with water dropping in at one side.

If a uniform rolling tumbling effect can be achieved,,, then the k media once matured will follow the action of the water.

A lot of trial and error, sometimes itl'll come together working quick if close to what's needed already.

Archived