Bristle nose help

fishinf

Hi i have a 5x18 tank with 2 sponge filters and a canister filter with a sponge over the inlet so fry don't get sucked up i do a water change every 2 weeks or so with prime and nothing else i have 8/10 assorted brislenose ,,long fin,,common ,,albinos plus 4 pepps

A lot of endlers and stacks of cherry shrimp

Heaps of driftwood ,,plants,,substrate is pool filter sand i feed hikari waffers put through a coffee grinder and fresh vegetables spinach ,,zucinni,,

They spawned twice and they spread throughout then disappeared

I have a 2foot as well and put eggs in there they hatched spread out 3 weeks or so gone

not quite sure I follow whats happening...you are putting your BN fry in a 2 foot tank and 3 weeks later the whole spawn has died?

I normally pop bristlenose spawn in fry saver floatys. I normally use bamboo ends and stick the whole lot in, dad and all and float them in the same tank.. After 9-10 days or so I then flush out dad and keep the fry in the floatys for another week to 10 days. Transfer to a fry tank and grow out. Never had an issue with doing it this way.

Are you over feeding your fish maybe and compromising water conditions? When you move the fish I assume they are fully established (seeded) tanks?

I use the fry saver floaty method too for my peppermints and out of 80+ fry 6 weeks later I have only had 3 die. I'm going to keep them in with the adults till they are atleast 3cm so they are healthy enough to handle some different water parametres in another established tank.

I've read that when the fry are young they need beneficial bacteria that they get from the adults through the water and or eating the adults poo so if you are taking them away too soon they may not be getting that bacteria and therefore dieing off.

Also if the water isnt seeded as Chuckmeister has said then that could definitely be the problem. This was proven about 2 weeks ago when I had a small display tank in my living room which I decided to up-size to a bigger tank and I only used a small amount of the water from the older tank to fill the new one and didnt transfer any filter material from the old tank, and so the 2 peppermints that were growing up really well both died literally overnight. One was the first ever peppermint I had spawned and had gotten to about 3.5cm so I was really upset and the other was only about 2cm.

Archived