Laterite or ADA Aquasoil

Chuckmeister

Does anyone have any experience on planted substrates?

I'm tossing up between laterite with a gravel cap which is the cheap way or something like aquasoil or eco-complete thats gonna cost me a small fortune.

I have been reading that the more expensive option is good for clean water, non-clouding and deep beds but its hard to judge from posts on how laterite performs.

Thanks Ged, thats a great link.

There is an old school plant breeder in perth that sent me this link.

This guy took about 15 or 16 different substrates and grew plants under the same conditions. Some of the results are quite amazing in that some of the simpler, cheaper setups can sometimes exceed the pro stuff.

Its also amazing that someone went to this effort.

I almost went for a setup based on his dinosaur dung results but decided I'd rather go ADA to be safe.

Not sure which you guys think was the best grow...its a bit subjective and I'm surprised there was not more debate in the topic.

Chuck it is hard to tell definitively as there are other variables that should be taken into consideration. Having said that the results are incredible.

It it is interesting that the cheaper alternatives did well in the time period of the trial. I wonder if it was over a longer period whether the nutrients of the substrates would be depleted and then start to have a negative impact.

Archived