Marine aquariums?

Teamsherman

Hi folks,

I've got a spare four foot setup here doing nothing and I've really wanted to run a marine setup for a long time but have zero idea on what equipment I need at first to get the tank setup. I've heard of skimmers, wave makers, tide machines ect ect.

I want to make a coral setup with the usual Clown fish ect at first then add some more exotics down the track.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

TS.

Alan it has been a long time since I have a marine setup but here is a list of a few things that will be a must.

Sump or Refugium. Whilst there are a few differences between them I think a sump would be suitable for a four foot setup. I have used a external canister filter on marine setup if you push the budget to a sump then I would.

Power Head or two. This will provide ample water movement and ensure that you don't have dead spots. This will also allow you to do without a wave machine.

Protein Skimmer is a must. There are a number of different designs so you may need to do a bit of research.

Lighting must be able to provide the required light frequency to meet the needs of the coral and anemones.

Live rock and sand that has active marine bacteria.

There have certainly been advances in what is capable in marine setup. No one would have considered a nano tank when I had my tank.

I got rid of mine a few years back, but it was a simple setup.

2 foot cube, deep sand bed filter, skimmer and T5 lighting.

I used 50kilo of live rock as I read somewhere it helps with filtration. Minimum fish, I think 6 and a couple of wave makers. I had a fair few corals.

System worked well and maintenance wasn't to crazy.

I will add some photos when I get on my computer.

Archived