Shogun Heater 500w anyone tested

Chuckmeister

I have that heater chuckmeister and think it works fine but did notice that the digital screen can off and on again get a little water in the display.

They actually brought out a newer version of that heater now which has an external display.

I'm selling the shogun 500 I have and upgrading to a 1000w. I just brought the 1500w external display and it's a awesome heater. The newer model gives you the option to use at full capacity or half capacity.

I use the Shogun 500w heaters and no problems so far, this is the 2nd year of use, i don't know how accurate they are with temp settings but my tanks are exposed under the rear deck, no insulation at all. They have to be completely submerged to operate correctly as they have two little probes on the top which must be kept under water at all times otherwise they do not give a correct reading of tank temp.

lol @ Buccal, everytime I see my power dip in Rocko I'll know its your heater kicking in at 2 rocks.

Thanks guys for the shogun info :) Not sure if I'm keen on having the probes to be submerged...I keep my heaters in my sump and it often gets low...in fact I know to top up the water when my sump starts sucking air :p

I gotta admit that over the years I maintain my water temps lower over winter than most would advise. If my water is 21-22 degrees I'm happy at that. The fish slow down a little but they dont seem adversly affected. 2 Jagers used to maintain that but I'm also suspecting that my sump pump warms up the water a little too. Atm I think one of the lights is turning on but the element isn't. Heaters are 10 years old so changing both is a good idea.

Hah ha yeah.

Hasn't made any difference to power bills though,,, if anything a touch less.

It comes on then shuts off very quick.

The jagars stay stay on most of the time struggling to keep up 4x large size. And may use more power struggling so hard.

I was wrong actually,, it's 2kw not 3.

It's all relative,,, more power it stays of for less,,,,, less power it stays on for more.

The elecro looks super professional and is absolutely premium quality.

This bad boy is for life.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the 500W on my 6 foot and it has been perfect. Accurate temp and never seems to struggle. I would gladly buy one again. It was the first time I had ever bought a heater that wasn't a jager and it was a smart choice

they look good

I may get 2 of them

they said they tested them on tanks up to 1500lites the 500w one

I can put it in the sump and its will be running 1100lites in 4 tanks

so I put 1 in and see how it go's

I have 2 sumps to heat like that

• 2 weeks later...

i got the titanium g2 600w and its kept my 6foot warm and cosy for my fish all winter and love the external digital reading for easy to check temp. also has a %50 usage option on top of the 100%option.

i got the titanium g2 600w and its kept my 6foot warm and cosy for my fish all winter and love the external digital reading for easy to check temp. also has a %50 usage option on top of the 100%option.

Seeing a few different readings for a 600w, is it up 600l or 800l tanks....

R these really worth the extra $$$$ ?

• 5 months later...

Hey guys got my self a 500w shogun.

Not sure of im doing soethig wrong tho.

I placed the heater flat in my sump and programmed it to 25c but the dispaly stays at 12 - 15 and heats the tank up and turns on the chiller. 

The temp display on the tank shows its at 25c already so no idea why the heater stays at 12.

So i placed it up right in the over flow box and same issues. The heater gives a temp of 12 on the led display. 

Any one? 

• 2 months later...

I've had two shogun 500w do that because the thermostat is on the way out. It will soon go the other way and say the temp of the tank is too high and display HH. It then does nothing because it auto shuts off even though the tank needs to be heated

• 3 weeks later...

Titan Heavy Duty Heater G2 600w suddenly start heating the water way high than it should. I removed the power I should pull it out and test it. It was about 6 month old.

Any one tried these nearly half the price of a titan so thought I'd give one ago.   Although can't fault titan as of yet although one in sump did stop heating last week gave sump a clean out and it came back on.

201234163905_1.jpg

The issue with those is (I purchased 100, 150 and maybe a 200) is the little heater sensors nubs on the top just broke apart after about 2 months. As a result all of them now display and heat to an incorrect temp.

• 11 months later...

@mjoconr  The issue with those is (I purchased 100, 150 and maybe a 200) is the little heater sensors nubs on the top just broke apart after about 2 months. As a result all of them now display and heat to an incorrect temp.

I had the same problem with the 500W heater, contacted Aquaholics and they replace the heater i just had to send them a pic of the faulty one.  Surely the sensor probes could be replaced any guys out there with the technical knowledge on how to do this. 

The new model of the biopro will be out most likely in June. They have replaced the sensor probe on top with a new more durable design. I am keen to check em out when they come in.

Archived