Ps. saulosi repopulated in Lake Malwi

Link2Hell

• 2 weeks later...

Great article Chris.

It would be interesting to know what the male/female ratio and the genetic diversity of the group reintroduced at Taiwanee Reef.

Seeing the females were easiest to spot from a distance, a bias towards females would be your answer Ged. I can email Larry or Bolly for the answer if you like?

It is good to see that program going. So that raises an interesting question, if these fish aquarium bred are caught and exported are they wc or captive bred ;). Lol.

Cheers

Rosco

Rosco, the released fish were pond F1s that never left the lake water, so when bred back to WC results in whatever that classification comes out as...?

I can email Larry or Bolly for the answer if you like?

It would be great if you could ask Marc. It appears that they were sorting the fish as they bagged them and were being selective. I wondered if they were trying to balance the ratios even though on a few showed signs of male colouration.

I was amongst the privileged group who released these fish on Taiwanee Reef, Lake Malawi, in September. Ideally, only females would have been released, but the fish available were too small to accurately sex. Any obvious males were removed from the group, and the remaining fish were returned to the reef.

I posted a photo essay of the release on the Perth Cichlid forum.

http://www.perthcichlid.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=59321

Great photo essay Humbug. What a wonderful opportunity to be involved in the project.

Was there a reason for removing the males. Genetically these fish should have been similar to the existing fish as they were collected from the same site.

These little guys were so cute. I assume that these were the ones that were released? Photo taken in July.

Saulosijuveniles_zps22881f8a.png

I was really impressed with the health of the M. chipoke that were also part of the release program.

Lol, Kathy I forgot about you being our local Hero#2 ! Nice read of your article, shame to hear again the massive losses over winter by RZL though.... Ian

Nice pic Likoma, great memories!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
23 hours ago, cobaltcraig said:

A question when the fish , are caught down the track for sale and export will they be classed as F0 stock 

I guess you can say so, but how much under the microscope (a*nal) do you want to go?

F0 = WC from the lake, but what is Pond? technically is still wild, just bred from ponds on the lake, but is it allocated as 'Pond bred' or F1?

Is it that when F0 fish are bred in 'our tanks' that then they are classified as F1, F2 etc? or is it when they leave the lake water? or when they start to be fed on commercial feed? And why should German bred be any better than Aussie bred?

If you say that two F0s produced F1 progeny,  (Filial system - only as a label used to make it easier to follow the genetics) F0 fish are constantly producing F1 progeny in the wild, but yet we still class all 'wild' fish collected as F0....

So back to the top, when is it that the line is drawn? In my earlier post (response to Rosco), I said:

F1 from pond bred fish to be released back to the lake and to make whatever classification out of that

but technically it is still the same water and the same fish are breeding exactly the same down on the reef as in the ponds by the shore.

So I would correct my first comment and say that all the fish are still F0 and blow the Filial system out the window.   

*Perhaps the new biosecurity rules of batch testing can be a good thing that they have to run lab tests on the sampled fish; why not run gene sequencing also to find out the diversity and pop some gamete samples on ice for future stock.... hey now there's an idea....

Archived