Chuckmeisters random pics

Chuckmeister

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It actually gives the tanks a finished presented look, like from just tanks into furniture.

But now it looks unbalanced in my opinion,,, because the African Cichlid tank on its own now needs a head plinth.

Ive always been a fan of head plinths or skirts to give tanks that clean cut and slim line finished look on display tanks.

Some people with their new tanks like to show of the gadgetry, but later put additions such as this to make the set ups more fitting into the home or room,,,,, some tanks with stands and timber canopies sold as new complete units have earned a bit of a bad reputation as the entire timber hood or canopy holds moisture that slowly emits from the small openings around the lids and begin to twist, warp and disfigure the decorative hood construction, and some cheaper stuff on the market isn't very well finished as far as water proofing goes and let's go pretty quick and looks pretty crappy pretty quick.

But the total open tops with the basic perimeter skirts like Chuck has done is the best option that doesn't capture or hold any evaporated moisture,,,  materials can also be chosen to suit the rooms decor.

The more worthy a tank setup is, the better the head skirt finishes of the project, as seen on Chucks as a perfect example.

yeah I agree, the 8 footer definitely needs some attention now. I might pop down to bunnings this week and check out some of their choices of decking.

Will be a 15 minute job thanks to those lids (a couple of nice clean cuts and screwed on with those brackets)!!

Other than that, I think all I need is one of those outdoor storage box's so I can pop the canister filters in. I'll just cut the required plumbing holes and that should really tidy up the room

Advantages always keep popping up with twinwall polycarbonate.

Also,, when you look at decking, check out the scribe fillet they sell 115mm x 6mm,,, it's exterior grade and is Masonite which is basically reconstituted hard wood, bit like a external grade of MDF but it's very dark brown in color. The scribe fillet has one pre-primer/sealer coated side which is white and ready to be painted,, spray paint turns out mint on scribe

yeah I'm really glad you talked me into those lids back in that old topic a while back....one of the best things I've done recently with my tanks...always appreciate great advice :)

I'll check that decking out for sure...hopefully will update later this week :) (with pics)

:thumb, the scribe fillet isn't decking,, when you see the gables on house roofs, the tiles sit on top of the barge boards and hang over by about 50mm or so,,, you'll then notice a thinner wide piece of timber (scribe fillet), nailed against the barge board underneath the tiles, this scribe fillet is strategically cut to the contours of the underside of the tiles which covers up the gaps between the tiles and the barge,, which stops critters getting in there like mice, wasps, bees and truckloads of other wildlife,, also giving the finished look.

All bunnings are different, but usually found in the timber section, some bunnings can't store long lengths in timber sections, so sometimes secondary timber sections are in a horizontal form in a seperate section.

Just ask for Masonite scribe fillet (pre-primed).

If your making 90' degree joins, the material is thin,,, so still cut nice mitres, and use like 20x20mm scrap timber to plant hard up against inside of miter join, smear the lot with 5 min araldite and clamp the corners together.

Good thing with the scribe, it doesn't twist warp like timber, and has a prefinished perfectified face to it.

Archived