Herichthys carpinte - shouId I?

ViS

Hello!

I'm still alive :)

The bug is starting to bite again. I have an empty 8 foot tank, cycled and ready to get its first guests. I want to try something new. I've done Malawi, Tang, and SA Eartheater display tanks over the past few years and reckon it's time to try either a new SA or CA cichlid.

Despite my nagging gut telling me that it will end in homocide, I really love the look of texas cichlids. I have an opportunity to get hold of a male and a few females around the 10cm mark. They look very nice and are currently getting along fine in their smaller tank.

The loose plan is to get the 4 or 5 texas, add in a bunch of bristlenose and smaller L-numbers, maybe a few clown loaches and other fast bottom feeders, and a stack of columbian tetras for movement and colour.

The tetras may or may not be a good idea, but I've read plenty of stories where they are a good dither choice in a potentially violent CA / SA tank.

So for those who have kept the texas before, will 4 or 5 (with only 1 definite male, possibly two) be a good choice in an 8 footer (2ft high, 18 in deep)? Decorations are both large holey rocks, hollow driftwood logs and mangrove roots. pH is right on 7.0 and steady (natural pH of my local water which is why CA fish would be the logical choice). dH about 10 with a dodgy test kit.

Is there another choice that will be just as nice looking but be more peaceful? Maybe jack dempseys, green terrors etc? I don't want huge fish. 8 - 10 inches max would be good.

How would firemouths go along with the texas?

Archived