Black Orandas

goldenswimmers

Just sharing some pics of some of my favourite goldfish.These black orandas are very cool fish if you ask me and in the past I have kept them in both aquariums and also outdoors in ponds.I did find outdoors that the black colouring became much deeper/stronger and the guys had a real nice black colouring overall.

Indoors the guys seem to fade and get a bronze look to them.This gets me thinking its a melanin based thing happening and the sun plays a major part in maintaining this strong black colouring.

Anyways heres some pics of some fish I've kept in the past

SAM_0708.jpg

SAM_8814_zpsae954f46.jpg

SAM_8771_zps52d07fdb.jpg

SAM_7279.jpg

SAM_7276.jpg

Nice shots and fish GS.

Are you breeding these?

Are they hard to breed/raise?

Certainly not your average goldfish!

thanks Joel,

I was breeding these guys in the past and will do so again in the future.I lost most of my big goldfish set ups(fish included) when I moved location and in turn lost the fishroom I had.I am currently in the process of establishing a new room and it can only get better with past experiences.

These are one of the fancy goldfish strains I have a weakness for and they are very cool fish!

They not really hard to breed but maintaining the quality is where it gets much trickier.You have to be very selective with fry,etc and this is where I find they differ from breeding with cichlids,etc.Not all the fry will have the qualities of the parents and you have to "nurture" desired traits with your offspring.

Good body shape,clean strong finnage and good head growth plus a strong swimming technique are all desired traits and not all the little guys will get the lucky combo!

They are an egg scatterer when it comes to breeding(work off 2 boy/1 girl ratio for best results) so will scatter hundreds(even thousands) of eggs on plants etc and this is where the fun starts.Good food/diet and good water like most other juvenile fish and you are on your way!

thanks for compliments guys :drunk:

Brent is there any thing you should be looking to determine the quality of Black Orandas. It appears that there has been a lot of breeding that has gone into this variety over the years.

Great photos by the way.

I have a personal look I like..thats what makes the goldfish pretty cool as your style comes into play!..but there is definitely a "standard"(for shows/judging etc and even just basic requirements to meet if wanting an "oranda" goldfish) ..but I find once you understand the basics its pretty straight forward and you just naturally go for a look that you enjoy in the fish...

I guess basics would be nice straight fins(unkinked as a lot of fish have bent in fins particularly on the bottom of the tail fins which is genetic or broken dorsal fins which usually comes from bad treatment,travel etc),double anal fins(many fish only have 1 anal fin or 1 and a bit(!) or deformed anal fins etc)...a tail that sits upright not too flattened out(creating a weak swim pattern)...good headgrowth(this can vary to as to what style you like but there must be a decent form of headgrowth to be a true oranda)..

I like the lionhead style which is all over headgrowth and there is also the goose cap style which sits above the head but doesn't feature strongly on the face/cheek area..this goose cap/head style is the basis to your redcap orandas and I find it mainly on goldfish from China....

And finally a nice strong swimming technique..you want a fish that swims easily and strongly...I also prefer a bit of healthy size or "chunkiness" to my fish ...

The most tricky aspect of the Black Orandas once you have quality genetics/fish is maintaining the black...as I think I mentioned it seems to strengthen in the sun but weaken indoors.. :huh:

I understand that genetics plays a big part in maintain the black pigmentation. Black Moors that have been bred for centuries have the black more or less fixed but newer types such as the Black Orandas are more prone to the effect of depigmentation. How do you feel the environmental impacts of warm water, increased light and light coloured susbtrates affects colour.

there are a few varieties where the black is very stable and in the black orandas some blood "groups" are stronger than others...the thai guys seem to have locked down the black genetics better than anyone..as is also seen in their black ranchu...I remember hearing they even place mirrors on the bottom of ponds to "suntan" the bellies of fish to get a complete black colouring...I have seen black moors turning bronze indoors too..and it always starts form the belly and works its way up..You are right Ged substrates etc could play a part(like most fish) as I remember the blackest oranda I ever kept were in black ponds :happy: not sure about water temps but would be interesting to look into

Archived