breeding behavior from gold occies?

daveho

so in a 20g i currently have 2 occies, they are both of about the same size one has a slight white tinge over the tip of the dorsal fin the other dosnt but when flaring the second develops a long dark line down the length of its body. yesterday there was some interesting behavior i noticed where the one with the white tinge would be sitting at the entrance of a mostly buried shell and the other fish would approach and they would flair at each other at the shells entrance and sort of lunge at each other but with no intention of actually hurting each other but they where both displaying full colour. they currently are also quite happy sharing the same 6" territory.

2014-05-10063844_zps31c3d7b0.jpg

2014-05-09181829_zpse2ba9a99.jpg

Hard to tell, sounds more like territorial aggression. Could be a pair forming?

By the way, if you replace your black gravel with fine white sand, like play sand, they should look MUCH better and have an easier time moving it around.

Oh and make sure its deep enough to completely cover the shells! they will bury them completely except for the mouth of the shell.

Oh really? Thats interesting, mine looked really nice on white sand, bright pink/purple sheen on their side with the gorgeous gold!

ill keep you guys informed on this, it dosnt look like typical occie fighting to me (i started with them over a year ago, i had 4 then..) but i didnt see the breeding rituals last time i had fry.

Archived