55g multi tank

daveho

hey guys,

im gonna be moving my multis over into a 55g and am a bit unsure if i should try a tank mate or 2 perhaps, i was considering a pair of rock dwellers of some description (maybe punks?) whats your opinion on possible tank mates?

im going to lay the tank out as basicly a huge shell bed but adding maybe a rock pile at one end to allow for another geographically correct species, i would also be looking to breed the other species but i do have spare tanks to grow out/remove fry as needed.

thanks,

Dave

A Julidochromis species for the rocks would be nice, and cyps of course.

No, i had about 3 or 4 males in a 4 ft 50gal. One or two will be the most dominant, but it worked and they bred...

EDIT: Oh and of course, this was in a school of 12 - 15.

Hi David,

For that sized Tank I would recommend lepto malasa or utinta and a school of 12 would be good. The jumbos probably need slightly bigger tanks. I am assuming that you have a standard 4x14x18(h) 55g means nothing to me :). Leptos really like height in a tank especially jumbos.

I have kept and bred utinta and jumbo tri- colour mpwimbwe and the jumbos were happier in my 6x2x2's than my 6x2x18's but the utinta were happy in a 3x18x18 in a species only tank.

Cheers

Rosco

bugger, well its ok at $90 each from the LFS or 20$ but the breeder likes to sell in groups of 8-12 they arnt really affordable for me. any other tank mate suggestions? was considering moving the rock pile to act as a divider and adding a brevis pair or 2.

This is my personal experience, but for me brevis were boring. They arent particularly colourful, they didnt breed for me (couldve been water or food but i had them at least a year) and they didnt show any interesting behaviour. Occies, on the other hand, were a blast. They were hilarious fun to watch. Shifting the sand, squabbling amongst eachother, trying to kill the julie's that were 3 times there size. I love gold occies, and i think you would too. aggressive little brutes lol.

I would probably not have multies and occies or any other shellies just have one. I would consider some julies or lelelupi, neo brichardi or even a few nigripinnis perhaps as long as you had plenty of rock piles and caves. You will probably not very many multi fry however as they will be picked off.

Cheers

Rosco

Archived