Aulonocara species name, ive lost it...

cooder

Hey guys, just a quick thread,

I saw a picture of an Aulonocara that looked similar to stuartgranti ngara, but with more blue on the upper body and down the back but also a bright highlight of yellow on the belly area, that didnt extend down the flank very far. thats the main feature i remember, it probably also had yellow pelvic and dorsal.

It was a really stunning fish and ive forgot the name, i'd like to look into perhaps getting some, but i gotta know the name!

Anyone know of what im talking about?

It couldve even been a stuartgranti Ngara... beautiful fish though!

Its not the one LithoMan, but i found what i was after while searching yours. Its not actually an Aulonocara,

its Protomelas sp. splinotus tanzania, And the yellow does actually go all the way down the body.

48JMmcs_zps6b11439d.jpg

Anyone have experience with these? the research begins...

Yep I have, they are great fish but can hard on the girls and really hard on sub dominant boys. They are a big fish and really need a 4x18x18 at the minimum for a colony. I had mine in a 3x18x18 for a while but it was a mistake as the girls coped some heat everytime he wanted to breed mouthful or not. They also take a long time to get fully coloured but will breed at around 7-8 cm mark. I only have two 12+ cm males left in a 4x2x2 display tank and they are the pick of the tank. They don't care about each other now the girls are gone.

Cheers

Rosco

Archived