Male or female? (pic)

luis

What does this look like, to those more experienced in venting? It's one of my Pseudotropheus saulosi.

Apologies for the fuzzy pic--I should've thought about better lighting when I was doing this.

P1080124.jpg

Thanks Rob, that's what I thought...

To give a bit more detail: I've had her since May 2012 and was 99% certain it was a she, but recent events made me start to doubt.

Basically I removed the dominant male from the tank around 6 months ago and this female, who became the largest fish in the tank, started to act very dominant towards the other females and also the sole remaining male.

She often displays faint black bars and black edging on the pelvic fins, and the other day she must've gotten into one heck of a fight because her fins were in pretty rough shape (she is now isolated so I took the opportunity to vent). There's also been no spawning since this happened. Guess I should've kept on to the other male...

Sadly I only have a 3ft tank with 1m/3f so if it turns out this fish is incompatible with the remaining 3 I am going to have a hard time replacing her.

Hi Luis,

It is not unusual for a dominant female mbuna to show a fainter version of male colouration and become aggressively territorial. I have experienced this myself with saulosi and other mbuna and I'm sure I recall reading mention of this in the wild also in one of Ad Koning's books.

Cheers, Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I blacked out the tank for a day or so and haven't seen any serious disputes since.

Rearranging rocks is quite a challenge for me, there aren't many ways that I can fit these large rocks in a small tank like this. :)

Archived