keep your Ps. saulosis & breed them true

aqc

Keep your Ps. saulosi mbuna and breed them true because their natural population has depleted severely. Here are my dive buddies doing a release of pond breds back to Taiwanee Reef, their natural location on a recent safari.

Its great to see the hobby giving back to the source...and even more reason(as you mentioned mate)that we should breed strong true lines(as can be) with our aquarium fish....can I release my Malawi hawk back in the same area?? :drooling::drooling: (ha ha sorry mate I know its an old joke :happy:)

Litho - unfortunately only about 30 to 40 juvs as they had a 'cold snap' on the lake (I know it sounds paradoxical lol) so lost a lot of fry. We were expecting at least 100.... we did a quick scout of around the reef to survey how many we could find b4 releasing the juvs. The guys (Larry & Ad) said they rembr when there 100s covering the rocks like a mass of yellow.

Goldy: Not the hobby, science bro. That's the Ad man releasing them in person! Hawks, lol pity I didn't see any of these in the flesh but you never know since a lot look similar at a distance but don't stick around for you to get too close. Nope, un4tly Malawi doesn't allow imports - national park n all.

Troll: I only have a pic from my own batch some 15 years ago, I can't say a lot look similar these days, but I'm sure some folks have clean ones.

Such a privelage to be part of the ceremony and filming it ... my part being a 'GoPro Hero for the Day' lol

I have some nice ones. It took me over two years to find anything worth buying.

I sourced mine from Skyedge, more by accident, I went to buy some Tropheus and seen the quality of his fish. I took him up on his offer for the fry as they were so good. My females all came from Gavin Rhodes. I have about 15 fry that I have breed and are growing up to see what the males look like. They are about 5cms now and once the fish room is built they will have their own tank.

Quick video of my group with fry. I dont strip my fish so I dont get alot of fry.

The fry that were released are part of a breeding program being run at Stuart Grant's property. I know that Stuart has passed but I believe its still going, being looked after by Ester, his wife.

The NSWCS-illawarra branch is currently discussing a donation program to help out this cause.There is more information for anyone who is interested on the Cichlid press web page.

http://www.cichlidpress.com/smgfund/index.html

It is a long read but well wrth it.

Josh

Archived