Leptosoma wastage

noddy

Hi All,

I posted a photo of a lepto the other day and was told to start treating with metro due to the pink in the gills. I was told that it looked like early signs of wastage. What is everyone's experience in with wastage. All fish are still eating (if fact I now have a second mouthful) but if it is in fact wastage I'd like to get onto it asap. I did previously lose a pair of wild caught gobies in that tank that had red gills. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all at zero. Other tankmates are L. meleagris and 2 bristles. If metro is the go what dosage rate should I use?
Thanks in advance
Trav

Not sure if it will help i just bred my german imports of Cyp.Lept.Jumbo Livua, 14 fry.Now i have 4 left

10 of them died due to wasting don't know why but it seems to happen to this fish too often, never will

ever buy them again.No one can even tell u why which is even more frustrating all u get told is could be a number of things

ok like what

I lost a two cyps which had wasted.....after little to no answer why i acutually gutted one..there was no visual signs of anything wrong from anal fin right up to just behind the gills, iv seperated the head to find pink gills right into the back of its mouth...infection imo which made it sensitive and rough on the fish to eat which explained why they were spitting the food....

I lost a two cyps which had wasted.....after little to no answer why i acutually gutted one..there was no visual signs of anything wrong from anal fin right up to just behind the gills, iv seperated the head to find pink gills right into the back of its mouth...infection imo which made it sensitive and rough on the fish to eat which explained why they were spitting the food....

heh thats pretty funny! unfortunately, unless you have a microscope and a degree in microbiology then you probably wont get to the bottom of this...

Hmm in that case, I'll ask my lecturer regarding the issue and maybe if I can have a look myself under a microscope... now I just have to wait for it to happen to a lepto of mine haha

Any idea of the diseases causing it?

There were some indications of a chlamydia spp. of bacteria that may be causing the issue but we're looking at collecting specimens for PCR testing and to identify if it is caused by normal flora and triggers. Also why it happens more commonly to 1 species and 1 individual at a time usually. Also to find a suitable medication for the cause.

The symptom is the wasting away of the fish but the number of diseases need to be figured out whether it is even bacterial for starters

The problem with it being a single symptom caused by a number of diseases is that - say it was bacteria - there would be different symptoms because each spp. of bacteria is different with different requirements and effects.

Hmmm...not really...different species (bacteria, virus, mycoplasma) can cause almost exactly the same signs and symptoms (in humans a cough could be caused by virus, bacteria, tumours, foreign bodies etc etc)....chlamydia might be one, mycobacteria is another.....Id have to dig up the paper again and read it.

Yeh...its a pretty good topic for a Phd student I reckon...my wife is interested as well but she needs SICK fish, not dead fish....its sometimes difficult to get someone to sacrifice their still swimming fish

Yeh...its a pretty good topic for a Phd student I reckon...my wife is interested as well but she needs SICK fish, not dead fish....its sometimes difficult to get someone to sacrifice their still swimming fish

Mike - I can send you some 'live samples'of africans not cyps, that I am treating atm. ie. If they don't respond and remain alive, so as long as the findings don't come back as 'fish MB!' lol

ship by air, so airport pickup, regards, Ian

Archived