New to Frontosa

allcrazythings

Hi all,

I'm setting up a tank soon for some frontosa, I'm after a nice variant, I don't know much about them besides 6 bar and 7 bar.

Can anyone name some readily available variants that are nicer than standard ones? And maybe explain a bit about why some are more expensive than others besides being 6 bar and 7 bar etc.

I want to setup up a tank with 3-5cm ones and hopefully have a nice big tank in the future with an established colony in it.

Thanks!

Hi, there are plenty of different variants available these days apart from the old 6 bar 'Burundi' and the 7 bar 'kigoma' variants that we have had here for many years. With frontosa being an allowable import now there are a lot of different ones available but they are basically split into 4 types, sp north, Tanzanian, Zaire/Congo and Zambian. With wild caught colonies entering the country you can either purchase some of these or there are a lot of f1 fry available from breeders in different states etc. it's a bit hard to verify the prices but wild caught fish can start at about $200 and go up to $450 for the rarer Zaire variants like kapampa, Chumbu and kalumba etc! You need to look at which ones you like the look of and see how much you want to spend and go from there.

Yeah read up on that, would like to buy adults but might prove to cost a bit upfront if I wanted a large colony, and that's if I can find adults lol.

I was hoping to get 20 fry and have two small separate colonies out of that and sell off surplus or chuck them into display with other fish.

What do you think of my plan?

Thanks.

Archived