OB FUELLEBORNI OR MARMALADE CATS?

I am growing out some some Fuelleborni, however I got OB fish that look male:

I would like to hear peoples opinions of OB morph and marmalade cats.

From what I understand Marmalade Cats are OB males, fairly rare, being 1 out of 1000 born, they have blue/purple spots and a blue sheen upon the entire body...Some argue the phrase "marmalade cat" can be applied to all OB mbunas, while other argue it a Fuelleborni exclusive title.

However I have read Fuelleborni have been linebreed to produce OB males, thus becoming a common occurrence in the trade. However the males have black not blue/purple spots.

There are numerous geographic strains, I would presume most are crossed in Australia, thus theres a mixture of colours etc.

Do only the males get the two lines between the eyes? Do females have a blue sheen to them?

There seems to be alot of conflicting and confusing info about these fish on internet, I would like to see what Australian breeders say about the bloodlines we have here.

Cheers

hi

well u are right about the ob male being rare

I have a ob male Labeotropheus trewavasae and they look like a female but like u said with the blue sheen

I know of 2 color strains of the Fuelleborni here

yanke

Cheers Yanke...I have seen female heavily OB/blue males with orange dorsal fin...pure blue males...and also very lightly OB females...Im sure some geographic "pure" strains are going around...But I think most of common ones in LFS' would be a Australian aquarium strain...I have noticed quite a few male looking OB fish at 2 diff LFS', could be due to line breeding (no marmalade cat charachteristic, besides the blue sheen)

I had a colony of trewavassae a fews years back that produced a fair few 'marmalade cats'. A lot more than 1 in 1000. Some of them are nice, some are quite average depending on the colouring.

Cheers

Archived