Anyone have blue yabbies or marrons with cichlids?

Jackaroo123

• 2 years later...

Hey Jack,

Have a mate who keeps two Blueclaw Lobsters (Crayfish) in his tank with numerous Cichlids, he hasn't had problem with crayfish attacking fish or vice versa. Although I would advise to have a driftwood or around 30cm for the crayfish to hide in, rather then a cave/rock environment where fish might swim through in close contacts with the crayfish.

But in my opinion, Blueclaw are a great add to an aquarium providing you have somewhere for the crayfish to crawl under.

I've kept a blue yabby in a 2 foot tank with Mollies, Guppies etc.

Yabby kept pretty much to himself, and all got along.

Kept the yabby fed with a small piece of potato and carrots. Occassionally I fed the yabby a piece of raw fish (whenever I use to remember)

Kept this group together without issue for about 3 years .....

• 2 months later...

I have had and still do have red claw yabbies in my Malawi display tank. I had a huge female that I got at baby size and the only reason her and another big male I had in there died is because they found a gap in the mesh lid and escaped to only perish on the floor after not being able to find another water hole.

I have one in there now that has grown double its size since putting in all the cichlids.

He has heaps of caves at his disposal and every few days he has dug himself a new home. The cichlids never even go near him and he's not once tried to grab any of the fish. He only raises his Claw's to catch the sinking pellets at feeding time. It's funny as to watch as he tries his best to catch them before the fish can get them!

They have always happily eaten Hikari cichlids gold sinking pellets.

You'd have to be pretty unlucky for your fish to get nipped.

Some story I reckon would derive from fish that's already dead from other causes and in the claw being eaten.

As a kid, I kept yabbies, marron and gilgies will gambesia, tadpoles and goldfish,,, and these are slow and lazy compared to cichlids.

Cichlids unlikely to get caught, not only quick, but smart instinct wise.

If anything, I think you'll find some cichlids are so inquisitive that the marron will be slightly prone to getting hassled.

Hmmm, got me thinking now to,,, may try a few elec blue yabs in my display to... :)

Archived