Electric blue scientific names

dawghuntr

Hey lads I'm having a little confusion with my lfs I have 2 electric blue cichlids that are just under 20cms and try are a darker silver in colour. And now one of my lfs are showing a tank with electric blue juvies that are a bright sky blue and have red orange fins. Question is can anyone maby have a guess at the two scientific names? Obviously these two can't be the same fish as the vast colour difference and I'm getting confused because they are both being called electric blues. Thanks

I think that they are a total different fish because the ones I have juveniles are all silver and then the males colour up. These one the pet shop are calling elec blues are already a bright sky blue.

I know there are two species that look very similar. The fryeri and the ahli.

I'm not sure about the differences and I'm not saying the ones you're talking about are a different species.

As others have mentioned they could be fed colour enhacing foods which I know some LFS do to sell them and to help differentiate males earlier.

They could also all be males which would explain why they're all coloured up without any silver ones.

It's called Minto pets it's got a smaller fish section that's why I thought might be named wrong. Just looked up the iceburg elec blue and tere is a photo in google images that looks exactly like them! Might be it! Also is there any negative effects o this colour enhancing food? Anyone recommend one? Why wouldn't every food be colour enhancing? Everyone likes good colours??

Archived