joey13 - 5ft In-Wall Setup

joey13

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think I might be taking the plunge into the LED world for this build.

Think I'm sold on this unit.

48 X 3 watt Bridgelux LED's
24:24 white:blue
5,500 lumens
12,000k - 20,000k
Blue LED's 460nm
1200mm x 203mm x 42mm
White and Blue can be controlled independently

sml_17427_ss_mantra_img5.jpg

sml_97711_ss_mantra_img2.jpg

sml_98217_ss_mantra_img3.jpg

sml_56174_ss_mantra_img1.jpg

UPDATE - 29/07/2013

Installed the beam to support the existing roof.

Ran cable and wired two double GPO's. One up high to power the lights and one a little to the right to power all the equipment.

Noggins inserted.

Frame constructed and fixed to the wall.

Started putting plaster back on.

THIS THING IS ROCK SOLID! I think we are going to need a few blokes to get this 12mm tank up onto the stand. It's 1200mm from the ground!!!! :blink :blink :blink

Going to paint it all up tomorrow. Top board is going on and the remaining plaster.

mini-photo+8.JPG

mini-photo+9.JPG

mini-photo+11.JPG

mini-photo+12.JPG

mini-photo+14.JPG

mini-photo+17.JPG

Hey buddy good stuff...

Is Dom doing the stand???

Great idea .....

Hey Shak!

No mate, I've got a faily friend giving me a hand. As you can tell guys, a lot of my inspiration for this tank was taken from n3wbi3 tank.

UPDATE 30/07/2013

Stand painted up.

Top board fixed.

Framed and packed the surround.

Skirting and plaster back up.

Viewing side plaster cut out and framed.

mini-photo+24.JPG

mini-photo+27.JPG

mini-photo+29.JPG

mini-photo+33.JPG

Tank is being delivered tomorrow.

Left to do

Boards for bottom shelf to be fixed

Frame garage side with skirting

Paint top board and touch ups on frame

Paint back and sides of tank - Black.

Tape up and fill plaster

Sand viewing side frame and paint

Drill holes for weir.

Its look good so far buddy.

Whats that LED light ur looking at worth buddy...

Hey mate,

I've been quoted $499 from "Pets Wonderland Aquarium"

182 – 184 Chapel Street

Prahran, 3181

T: (03) 9510 4088

Ask to speak to Alex. He's a nice bloke and really helpful. The unit I'm getting is the Dalua "MANTRA".

I'll let you know how it goes when I get it but from the looks of things, looks like an awesome bit of kit. I wasn't goin to go LED because I thought they were too pricey but when I came across this unit, I was sold. Looks bang for buck that's for sure.

They have heaps of other units as well!

Check them out at http://www.daluaaustralia.com.au/

Getting to the fun end of the build, can't wait to see finished product.

Yea i know the shop...

haven't been in there for yrs tho...

Any good africans?

What return pump r u gonna run???

I haven't actually been into the store yet myself so I'm not sure. Just spoken with them over the phone.

I picked up a Laguna Max Flo 5000. Same as yours but one down. My tank is a little smaller than yours plus they don't sell the 6000 anymore...seem to have discontinued. Goes from 5000-7500.

I'm very seriously leaning towards going marine now with all the effort I've put in.

I'm very seriously leaning towards going marine now with all the effort I've put in.

Noooooooo! I was really looking forward to seeing it full of Tropheus! Haha

I was gonna go for marine and every 1 spoke told me the same thing, expect a high energy bill LOL + the 1st yr will be full of head aches.

Yeah that's what keeps popping back into my head. Africans are awesome and I know them well. Besides I want to go away with my partner and get married overseas next year and don't have anyone that could look after a marine setup. It's easy to feed Africans and if stable enough, you can get away with water changes for 4 weeks.

Africans FTW!

Shak what did you paint the back of your tank with?

I just done the first coat with a 100% Acryllic Paint (for plaster walls) using a foam roller. It hasn't covered real well but I assume that's because its the first coat. Toward the end I started laying it on super thick and that seemed to work. I'm assuming it needs a good 3-4 coats to cover well?

Yeah a few coats will do it mate then she'll peel off in big sheets if you ever want to change the colour.

Btw before I got my first Tropheus, the tank was marine....... Soooo glad I got out of that!

Tank arrived on Wednesday.

Here is a better pic of my sump and media tower

mini-photo+36.JPG

Started painting the tank. This is the second coat. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't been such a tight A$$ and got it vinyl wrapped. Cost me $50 for materiels to paint. I got quoted $130 to vinyl wrap it. I got impatient I guess. It's coming up ok except I'm having trouble with the corners...

The paint will not stick to the silicone as you can see in the pics and from the viewing side it leaves gaps and light gets through. Any tips on how to cover the silicone?

EDIT - Going to put some black plastic corners on the rear and run a bead of black silicone on the front outside corners. Solved! :thumb

mini-photo+35.JPG

mini-photo+37.JPG

mini-photo+38.JPG

mini-photo+39.JPG

Yep,

1. Go to local newsagent and get some black (vinyl) book wrapping. cover the corners in that.

2. If that doesn't work then give the corners a light smear of 'no more gaps'. Let it dry then simply paint over it with your black.

3. This may be a silly question but have you given all (external only) surfaces a quick wipe over with a cloth wet with methylated spirits? If not, make this point 1.

good luck mate,

Mace

Hey mate.

Yes I cleaned over with metho prior. I didn't do the silicone but I don't think it would have made much of a difference. The plastic black corners and black silicone will solve it.

Archived