Malawi Cichlids and Sandstone Pavers

smellfry

I'm looking to purchase some peacocks or yellow labs/ electric yellow. Does anyone know a reputable store that sells them for a decent price? I was buying them for $10 each for 1-2 inch long cichlids but it's a fair distance away. I live near the Epping and parramatta region in nsw. I currently have 8 peacocks around 2 inches. How many new cichlids can i add at one time? I'm also looking to breed some to keep myself, however as far as i can tell i currently have all males and i heard you need 3:1 ratio. how can i achieve this ratio? i have 1 of each species except 2 ruby reds and 2 dragon bloods. Also, does anyone know where I could get cheap sandstone pavers or rocks for aquascaping?

I'm not sure about cheap cichlids in the sydney area, but I would suggest that you keep an eye out in the classifieds section on here, if you haven't already then you should apply for access. I have found purchasing fish of other members to be much cheaper than stores, the quality to be much better, and you get to meet other hobbyists. I would think that if your tank is cycled then you would be able to add around 50% of your current stock each time, and each new introduction should be around a week apart to give your bacteria enough time to catch up with the increase in bioload.

With regards to your peacocks, I would suggest that you stay with all male if you want to keep them all in the same tank. Peacocks will interbreed, and you will end up with a whole tank full of hybrid fish that you will be unable to sell on here, and that you well be encouraged to not sell to stores. the Aulonocara group of fishes has suffered greatly already through hybridisation damaging lines, and it doesn't need further problem.

If you do wish to have a go at breeding, you may need a few tanks that you can house separate strains, maybe at least 3ft as these fish like to swim, and do get big-ish. A set up like this will allow you to breed these fish much more easily, and they are often up for sale as full set ups either on here or in petlink.

Good luck!

Kerrin's suggestion of having an all male peacock display tank is a good one. Looking at your tank photos it looks as if you have the beginnings of this type of tank already.

The ACE Classifieds is a great way to source fish. See here for details.

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=30720

Brian Martin Landscape Supplies is a great place to get sandstone close to you. Brian's quarry is out at Maroota but he has a yard at 626 Pennant Hills Rd, West Pennant Hills. Travelling North towards Hornsby, they are on the left-side of the road,

approximately 300m past the M2 and opposite Pennant Hills Golf Course. Just make sure you are in the left-hand lane as you pass the M2 or you will never make the turn into the yard.

Brian is a great bloke and has a great supply of sandstone flagging. If you give him a call he may be able to set aside some good pieces that suit your needs. His number is 02 9872 4118.

Brian landscape was also the place where I got all the mulch for my garden coincidently. Haha. Also, is it possible for me to add 3 electric yellows, (2 females, 1 male) and have them mate in the tank so then i have a lot of electric yellow fry? Or would the other peacocks try to mate with the 2 electric yellows?

Don't have to worry about your yellows interbreeding with peacocks as the peacocks with most likely cross with each other at every opportunity they get. Your better off getting yellows if quality breeders on this forum I have seen some really pale yellows being sold in LFS

Archived