Paratilapia "polleni"

killiguy

These fish are seriously nice and relatively peaceful(except to their own species)This pair successfully murdered all its siblings.

They are not particularly predatory not eating some small rainbows and blueyes Ive culled and put in their tank. Ive not seen any spawning activity but lots of time together

I gather these fish have a few spawns then become reproductively inactive

My fish are 17cm amd live in moderately hard and alkaline water

Im interested in peoples experience with these fish

IMG_3512_zps43b80034.jpg

IMG_3508_zpsba0b6d82.jpg

IMG_3522_zpsdd7fb258.jpg

I have bred them a few years ago.They were kept as a pair in a 6x2x2 tank.Their eggs were laid in a clump about the size of a golf ball & were not adhesive .They reared several hundred fry from 1 spawn,the fry were left with the parents for about 3 months.I only recently lost my pair they were in a tank with a few other americans.

The male was around 25cm & the female 20cm when they spawned.The ph was 7.6 ,I don't remember the other water parameters.They had spawned a few times before in a 4x2 but always ate the eggs within a few hours.

Surtac

i bought 2 young pairs about 4 months ago, they havent turned fully black yet.

they have already killed down to 1m and 2 f.

hoping to at least have 1 pair in a year and try and get them to spawn

Thanks frankenstrat and surtac

Ive found sexes difficult to pick.I have a small brown fish I thought was the female but the male has picked a fish very similar to himself and attacked the brown fish (a runt I think)

Im starting to feed them some live food and see what happens

we had one in a shop, he was a prick and always started fights with big americans. he was tough as nails tho, he eventually got bashed so badly one of the workers thought he was dead and threw him in the bin. i fished him out all dried up and put him into a tank by himself and he was back up & swimming around in no time.

• 2 weeks later...

I bred these guys not long ago (maybe 6-8 months) I was lucky enough to purchase a pair and had them in a 4 foot tank on their own....gave them a fake cave and pretty much left them alone except to feed and make sure their health was ok......

as soon as I started to see the female moving gravel out of the cave I turned lights off (they were kept in a low traffic area) they spawned once and she ate the eggs because I disturbed them and the tank, so we put them back to dark again with the only light coming through the day is all they had.

They spawned a second time and produced over 150 fry.....I left them altogether for a couple of months and then split half of the fry out....I didn't know if they were good parents so split my odds...they grew at the same rate once separated and the parents we found were fantastic parents.......unfortunately after I took the rest of the fry the male went ape and harassed the female and I had to separate but I was to late and she later died......soon after I moved the dad on as I lost heart...

These are a fantastic fish with personality and life....I will get another pair one day I am sure.....

Hope this helps!!!

Col

pH was around 7.5 and temp was between 24 and 27.......fed them a variety of foods some flake and blood worms as a treat, occasionally they got some freeze dried black worms...I searched the internet for polleni fact sheet and went off that really.....I usually like to see things at least 3 or 4 times on the net before I start to believe that there might be some truth in it but I did not find a whole lot on the internet about these guys....Hope that helps. :) i think the ral key is to not disturb them to much....which is really hard when they have lots of fry floating around them lol

• 1 year later...

Infertility can be caused by a number of things such as genetics, age ( too young or too old), diet, water quality particularly when young etc.

They are available from time to time but seem to more readily available in Qld and WA.

There are a few pairs in Syd at the moment. Mine have slowed down on spawning every other fortnight but still bonded so hopping to get another spawn relatively soon. Just haven't been at home as much as I'd like lately

• 11 months later...

Archived