Rocks: Make your own (007)

SillyCichlid

I gave it a go about 6 months ago for my malawi tank, i cured the rocks for about 3 weeks with 100 % water changes every 2 days but after that my ph was still going thru the roof so i put them in the garden . one day i'll get a yen to soak them and see whether their cured yet. rolleyes.gif To get the caves and holes etc put cement in by hand (with rubber gloves) and lay in wet sand where u want caves etc , once the concrete sets wash the sand out of it then dump the whole thing in a water trough til its cured.

I've been meaning to do the cement / sand holey rock thing for years. I was planning to cure them in the ocean for a few months. Just take them on a dive where I know most people don't go and let them sit in the water until much of the alkalinity has leached out. Then I'd give them a soak in fresh water for a week or two (or even boil them).A nice fresh water mountain river would be better, but you use what you have.

It will still always remain high (pH), but after a few months in moving water it will stabilise somewhat.

I was also thinking of doing this and curing the "rocks" in the river.

Why do you think it would take months to cure the rocks?

I was only going to leave the rocks in the river for a week. With the action of the tides I thought that would be like changing the water once a minute.

Has anyone had any disasters from making rocks from cement?

regards.. jdhogg

arghhhhhhh anita link doesn't work, and i was so looking forward to it

meanwhile andy (or anyone else) can u recommend a specific type of cement?

does anyone know where to get white sand? there are no problems with it i am assuming?

i want to keep plenty of african malawis with these rocks any thoughts?

REEF SAND

Here is a link for a place I have bought white reef sand from but it isnt cheap im trying other ATM to see how it goes first.

I have the reef sand in all my tanks and its great as I never have to clean the bottom of the tank as the sand is so compact nothing gets into it and the fish go around cleaning the top of it all day.

Archived