Where are the guys with blue lipstick?

goldenswimmers

They would be importable right? maybe they just cant be caught cause of the location or something...

Yes very sad...seems they never made it here in time...back when people could still have the freedom to import great fish(sorry guppy & gourami lovers ;))Damn shame like you said Chris...these are gorgeous fish and it seem everyone gets a spot for them even the tang folk :) :) and yeah cooder as ducksta said there are no Pseudotropheus allowed for import into Australia...sometimes I feel the inner rage :grrr: at the goverment for making such fish illegal whilst letting more dangerous fish(as in enviromental impact) into the country :wallbash: but thats politics for you :blink ....

It's one of those fish that may never take off as bread and butter fish in shops but will be very attractive for hardcore collector. Bit sad really but let face it, polit, rusty, barlowi, p livingstonii to name a few had suffered the same fate.

the photo above isn't the best representation of the look of the actual fish in a normal situaltion. If you were to buy them just for the colour then you will be in for a surprise, NO they dont all look the same as the above photos...end of the story!

It looks like you posted there fry !

I'm sure not all males of spec. Will display as nice as first pics but

good lines in good ratios under good lights I'm sure will be just as good as top pics

Yep, just coming out of juvie stage.

There are locational variances in these.

There are two that are similar, being Nkhata bay and Makonde.

It's the Makonde that's sort after.

Like with a lot of malawis people expect to see full vibrancy as seen on researched pics.

Truth of the matter is the aquarist doesn't supply the conditions for fish to present,,, wether water chemistry, colony construction or just tank or habitat situation.

Apart from those points another most of all one is patience and long term commitment.

Some people would be surprised just how big some fish actually get past what they consider full size.

Sometimes when fish have well well well matured and starting to slow or even finish breeding,,,, this is when these colors can set intense in a unchanged happy colony.

These type fish are a mood color showing fish.

With fish that show color only at best when in dominance or breeding mode,,, means that the tank must be set in a particular way to hold or set the fish in this constant mode.

Most of the time this means a single species tank.

These fish will not have set colors like a elec yellow.

A typical example of this Is the flasher type tangs.

To lock in color show on furcifers, two males and a handful of females with a privacy object in center to create two territories.

My furcifers are in constant or 90% of the time color breeding dress mode.

A bit of enginuity will make the Pseudotropheus "williamsi" Makonde look stunning.

To often I see good fish and bloodlines bought down due to lack of knowledge combined with what I call expectational googling.

you will never ever able to obtain the exact spec fish like the first pic

why,

Because the the pic had been heavily juiced (highly saturated, sharpen)

Even the rocks look blue!

EXIF data of the photo show it too.

Saturation = high (2)

Sharpness = hard (2)

I aggree with what Buccal said :thumb

but this one 'patience and long term commitment.'

i believe we, as hobyist often lack of (inc me)

i have kept these while overseas and i think a true presentation of this fish should be point out (or at least the majority of the time the fish should look like) in the photos below

north_zpsd2bd18c1.jpg

cichlides-mbuna-pseudotropheus-sp-williamsi-north-makonde-male-5_zpsf576db7b.jpg

bit like the red cheek we have here in Oz

and in the wild

Pseudotropheusspwilliamsinorth_zpsebe497e7.jpg

Pseudotropheusspwilliamsinorth_zps8ce52b8d.jpg

Pseudotropheusspwilliamsinorthcouple_zps10bb024f.jpg

this sp. distributed all over the lake and not limited to just Makonde and or Nkhata bay

They are distributed all over the lake yes,, this is why they vary quite a bit.

It's likely the Makonde collection point is where the better for color ones are seen.

German collectors and commercial breeders do have a selection regime to induce the better or more colorful part of the bloodlines.

There are many, many pictures from the U.S that show these fish almost or close to as nice as the so called photo shopped pics.

They may be photo shopped, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't.

I think with these fish as far as color goes, they will be similar to Hap.flameback type fish,,, some individual males will be standouts while others may not be as good even if dominant.

You all may be surprised as to wether Williams are here or not,,, they just could be here,,, maybe.

yep cant be juging the fish by how they look as fry...yes weaker lines will be not as colourful but I do think the first photo shown is not too far from the mark...well fed happy healthy fish and as mentioned under good lighting(and with a good camera as it a nice detailed image :)) you would quite easily find good fish looking similar....just not here in Australia unfortunately..i shall now go cry in my corner :drunk:

I tell you what...get me some and I will let you judge my fishkeeping skills to your hearts content ha ha :thumb I definitely understand the relevance of "googling" an image but if you dont even have the fish in the country to show an example of,..will then where else would you grab a pic????....think most experienced fishkeepers would be aware of the variance of fish colouring with mooding,etc ...still think they have the "potential" to be beautiful fish and Im very jealous Daci of your experience with them, ;)...I even think the wild specimans look great with the yellow more resrtricted to the facial area...and still nice blue lips :) :)

Honestly AQIS is bull crap. I dont see how these are any less viable to import than any other mid sized malawian cichlid. Local troubles, National parks etc etc that dont allow collection is understandable though.

A good example is boulengerchromis microlepis, Yeh they grow to 700mm more or less long, and they excavate for their broods and have massive ones at that, but how does that mean that they can survive and over run Australian Rivers? if anything they could be banning things that can actually survive and thrive in our rivers and creeks....

Yeah whatever... they'll never budge....

There is a Tanganyikan cichlid that look similar. I'm pretty sure someone on this forum keeps them as well. Ill let you guys guess what fish I'm talking about.

Petro's?

Archived