One pair of convicts have bred

Bambi92

Hi all

One of my two pairs of convicts decided to breed not sure if they had them yesterday or today I only noticed them this afternoon they went to the trouble of claiming the ship in the tank but the little ones and parents are swimming around the tank but only go just over half way then the parents make them go back in the other direction away from the other fish.

I was going to clean the tank this weekend while I still can lean over the tank to do it (im 4 and a half mths pregnant so its getting harder lol) can I still clean it with the little ones there? Or am I best waiting till there a bit bigger? And do I have to do anything with them regarding food or anything like that?

I'm now hoping my other pair (a black and an albino) don't decide to breed or I think I might have a problem. My other fish (2 oscars, 3 albino convicts, the other pair of convicts and a goldfish) are being chased away from the other end of the tank at the moment they aren't allowed passed half way is that going to be a problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Hey there! Firstly, grats on the spawn.

Secondly, it's probably not a good idea to clean the tank with the little ones in there. You may stress the parents out and cause them to well, eat the fries. Or you may cause a big enough change to the water parameters to kill the fries (or at least with all the motion). But then again, the same thing can happen if they're bigger. Do you have a separate tank? You can always move (most of) the fries to a separate tank.

In regards to food, you can crush up whatever fish food you feed your fish and sprinkle them into the tank. Alternatively, just feed normally and the parents will crush up the fish food and spit it out for the fries.

It can be a problem if your other pair decides to breed, as both pair may (and probably will) take one end of the tank and the other fish will be pushed back and forth until one pair is wee wEEed off enough to kill them all. Unfortunately.

Hey there! Firstly, grats on the spawn.

Secondly, it's probably not a good idea to clean the tank with the little ones in there. You may stress the parents out and cause them to well, eat the fries. Or you may cause a big enough change to the water parameters to kill the fries (or at least with all the motion). But then again, the same thing can happen if they're bigger. Do you have a separate tank? You can always move (most of) the fries to a separate tank.

In regards to food, you can crush up whatever fish food you feed your fish and sprinkle them into the tank. Alternatively, just feed normally and the parents will crush up the fish food and spit it out for the fries.

It can be a problem if your other pair decides to breed, as both pair may (and probably will) take one end of the tank and the other fish will be pushed back and forth until one pair is wee wEEed off enough to kill them all. Unfortunately.

Thank you :)

I do have another tank but it has two green terrors in it.

I fed them this morning and watched them and they fed them I think and so far they haven't been eaten by any other fish.

Is it normal for convicts to be real meanies to oscars? I now only have 2 Oscars because my albino died and the convicts don't leave them alone even before the pairs formed they were like it.

Thank you for the info :)

Yeah Convicts are known to just be mean in general. They are aggressive fish, just not really as aggressive as say, a Red Devil for example. Until they breed that is. Oscars are actually relatively tame compared to many other cichlids.

Archived