Feeding Malawi Cichlids

BrentE

Hello, i recently lost 2 fish to malawi bloat and was just wondering how often people feed there malawi cichlids with what amount? I've been feeding mine HBH attack pellets & HBH spirulina just unsure on how often to feed them since losing 2 fish to bloat. Also can bloat be contagious? I done a water change after fish died of 30%.

I feed mine twice daily. there is a rule to feed them only what they can consume within a certain amount of time. So best to watch them next time they feed and time them how long it takes to eat the food. Not sure of the exact time but you could find it on the web.

Best to quarantine if you see fish that are not eating, get them out of the main tank. A cichlid that doesn't eat means there is something wrong with the fish.

I feed adult fish once a day/6 times a week with a skip night where i dont feed them

usually on the days i do a water change.I feed all my fish only NLS Thera A.Biggest problem

is overfeeding your fish and do weekly waterchanges.Hope that helps.

Some ph, kh, nitrate, ammonia and nitrite readings would help. Also try New Era food it is great quality excellent value I have been using it since its release in Australia. The big bonus for me is less waste meaning A grade water. Available from Age of Aquariums tat sponsors this site. Will also pm you some other places to get it from in case mods onlly allow sponsors to be publicly advertised.

Bloat is one of those mysteries that although no one is 100% sure what the cause is, but probably caused by a range or mix of different things.

Incorect Protein levels, wrong water parameters, dirty gravel, wrong food source for that particular fish all can cause bloat plus many other issues i am sure, eating from the surface i dont beleive to be one of them but it can cause other isues like swim bladder problems with air etc

Archived