Just a question on Oscar's and Livingstonii

jess an matt

Because of the difference in water paramaters, Oscars coming from the amazon, and livingstonii coming from Lake Malawi, No they cant.

The oscars come from Soft, Acidic water, whereas all malawian cichlids come from hard, alkaline water, on the other end of the scale.

Oscars grow really big, and they are known to be belligerent. Once full grown they should not be kept with anything that can fit in their mouths. if you are keeping anything more than a pair i suggest a large tank, 6x2x2 or larger. i could be wrong on the tank size as i havent kept these before.

All i can suggest at the moment is some large scaly catfish. something that wouldnt be aggressive to them and something that can take their aggression without getting injured.

Otherwise, these can be put in very large tanks with other big SA Cichlids, again nothing that can fit in their mouths, and i have seen very large setups with a mixture of South american and Central american, large cichlids for display.

Im no expert on the BIG variaties of cichlids so you will probably have to get another reference.

I hope this helps,

Cody

Archived