Sealant for Driftwood?

cooder

Hey,

I was wondering if there were any sealants that would be safe to use in aquariums to seal drift wood to minimize the amount of tannins that are leached, or does the idea have no merit?

Cody

Fibreglass resin can be used to seal driftwood, BUT if you have wood with a lot of holes and passages through the middle (Large stump types) it can be more of a problem than helpfull..

I would not recommend this with Pleco's or wood eaters

Depends on the weight of the wood, i have only used fibreglass resin on wood for frog and snake tanks easy to clean.

I have seen it in fish tanks as well but its not something i would personally do as i prefer the natural tannins and benefits that the wood give.

its just a pain having so much tannins leached, i like the golden hue that the wood gives but then it just goes to dark....

How long do you think it would take to leach most of the tannins from the timber if soaked? as i said i like a bit, but not too much, it seems it isnt possible so ill just have to put up with it lol...

fibre glass resin smells reeeally strong and its glossy right so it probably contains nasty chemicals that could leach.... not sure, probably best not to risk it, i dont want to kill my second go at apistos, first time the female got stuck in the mesh pot of a big anubias plant head first, the male went mad and started killing the neons before just dieing for i dont know?

dont want to have a repeat so i wont risk it,

Thanks

Cody

G'day Cody,

I think you'd have to soak it for a few months to slow the tannins up.

I'm a big fan of apisto's. I've only had one type so far and they were A. Bitaeniata.

What apistos are you keeping?

The pair I had from what i remember were f1 agassizii red from jodi lea at fish chicks ( maybe they werent? i certainly thought they were special :happy: ) and im looking to get the same species again, or trifasciata. Those 2 species appeal the most to me. one thing i love about apistos is that by my standards ( tang females like cyps and sifters) the females are pretty also!! especially when it comes to spawning.

This time instead of a pair i wanna get a trio instead or maybe even 2 pairs? actually... now that i think about it more i should only have a trio as the way im thinking of planting the tank, it wont very well divide territories.

And hey! if i seal up my bits of wood then how will my java moss grow on it? this will also be my first attempt at a decently planted tank with proper substrate, fertiliser and species layering ( background, mid, fore, moss etc....)

what size tank did/do you keep yours in? mine is going to be a spare 2 ft about 70 liters or so from memory...

Ill start soaking now, a month should help! :happy:

G'day mate.

Yeah those two species are awesome! in saying that, i think the same of most apistos haha!

I had WC in 2007or so from SLS, two pairs that ended in disaster!

They were in a standard 3ft that was fully planted (ill add a pic later when i get a chance)

One male ended up killing the other, then the biggest female ended up killing the other female then harassed male to no end. Stressing and killing him.

Then she ended up not eating and dieing also :( Like i said, disaster!

That was my first try! Have learnt alot about them since and I'll revisit one day. Are you a member of an apisto forum?

Oh that sucks, thats sort of what happened to my male, wouldnt eat and then died.

and no im not on any apisto specific forums, im on QLDAF, Cichlid-forum.com, Shelldwellers.com and ACE aswell, lol not sure if i should make another account!

At the moment im researching plants to buy, so far ive come up with 4 crypt species, pygmy chain sword and java moss lol.

then i need to modify my 2 filters, (turn them into one :O) and then get some plant substrate before starting cycling

Cody

Well I'd make just one more account Cody and that is at apistogramma.com You'll find out anything you need to know there!

It has a guy called Mike Wise who has been to SA and collected dwarf cichlids (mostly apisto's) many times!

Also I guy named Tom you has done even more collecting. Here's his site with awesome articles on his journeys to SA http://apisto.sites.no/

Just to clarify i used to used to make backgrounds in all my fish and frog tanks from fiberglass with sand mixed etc to get a nice rock work we also used expandable gap filler to get the shapes ,it is not toxic to fish as long as its been dried properly and rinsed a few times..

We do not do it these days because of the cost factor,

who knows one day i may get around to doing them again ;)

Well I'd make just one more account Cody and that is at apistogramma.com You'll find out anything you need to know there!

It has a guy called Mike Wise who has been to SA and collected dwarf cichlids (mostly apisto's) many times!

Also I guy named Tom you has done even more collecting. Here's his site with awesome articles on his journeys to SA http://apisto.sites.no/

Thanks, ill get onto that sometime soon then,

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6349&catID=65

:help:

Has anyone ever used this as a bottom layer for planted tanks? I was looking for a more soil based nutritious bottom layer for the tank ive spoken of.

Or is this just overpriced, over tagged brown gravel?

Thanks,

(gotta love milking threads!!) :lol3::p

I've not used that substrate but it seems good for what your after.

I used ADA Aquasoil in my Apisto tank and it worked quite well. These pics are from before i used the aquasoil....

3ft15707jj8.jpg

alphamale24707.jpg

:spaz::spaz:

Very nice tank and fish! im pretty sure its impossible to not fall in love with apistos.

ADA Aquasoil hey? ill look it up, thanks man...

I have seen a few... they are quite amazingly planted. i dont need that awesome just for apistos lol

made an account on apisto.com aswell, nice site that one

Archived