Fish ID - Aulonocara

BrentE

Hello, i've had this fish for around 1 month and got it as allsorted peacocks.. I know now not to get one from this name lol. But yer i was just wondering if im right and its a female - Aulonocara stuartgranti "Nkata bay"? It's 5cm in length at the momment.

Photo0187_zps0f19bda1.jpg

Majority are sold as assorted because they are a hybrid or they don't know. Females are pretty hard to ID as a lot of species look the same.

Ant

even if a suspected ID is given, you should never breed from any peacock that is sourced from an assorted peacock tank. it would be best if you dont raise any fry from such fish.

Find out where the shop received this fish from.

If its from Bayfish they do sell peacocks under the name of assorted peacocks.

These assorted peacocks are the throw backs of marble pccks and dragon bloods, the fish used to cross together to form the later mentioned actually show up close to their original form in fry batches.

Usually 10-15% of dragon bloods or marble peacock fry will be these blue peacocks.

Only the males are usefull for display.

And what's already said, do not grow on and release the fry.

Nearly all species in this field are alounocara types.

So what should i do with this fish? I have 2 other peacocks in tank one red rubin & a firefish both of them are male i think.

The shop actually didnt have any peacocks other then allsorted for some reason.

They arn't from bayfish a local breeder sells the fish to shop i bought them from.

Thanks brent

well since its a display tank, you leave the fish in there and make sure that none of the fry ever make it out. there is nothing better than a girl in the tank to make the boys display better.

well since its a display tank, you leave the fish in there and make sure that none of the fry ever make it out. there is nothing better than a girl in the tank to make the boys display better.
Agreed, my display some time ago went nuts with hybrids and some pretty nice looking stuff eventuated.

The shear size of my tank (2800 liters) at 1meter deep with tonnes of rocks makes it impossible to take anything out.

I you ever have to shut down your tank and get rid of, never ever give away or disperse hybrids.

Wrap them up in a bag and pelt it at the ground for a humane dismissal.

Ok kool, since putting the new fish in i have noticed the 1 of male (Hongi) going up to her doing some weird fin shaking...

Hopefully the hongi wont turn agressive but ill sort that out later.

Thanks for your help.

Archived