red spot severum

bugs

Red spot and red sevrums are only in Malaysia and Indonesia, maybe Vietnam by discus breeders.

There are gold sevrums in oz.

Some Gold sevrums have more red worm pearling on face than others and red anal fin and red dots through tail.

Unless snuck into oz very recently, I doubts very much the red or red spot sevrums are in oz.

Can see why you want them, I'd drop $300 per fish if I could score some red sev.

People have a infinity with red red fish.

For the most part the male has the worming and spots, and the female does not.

But some times females can have faint worming and spots and sometimes almost male like in some occasional specimens.

Obviously the females with the better markings are great candidates for breeding.

Both sexes seem to have the red anal fin.

Some lesser quality males can also appear female looking.

Like most American fish breeding, best way to tell is grab a bunch of juvies and let them pair.

But keep a few pairs to do secondary selections as they do have a habit of same sex pairing of females.

Finicky breeders, if you get a fertile successfull breeding pair, hang on to them.

I can certainly confirm they are finicky breeders. i have 7 females and 3 males presently and none of the males are fertile. For the girls, i am really not sure if any are fertile or not. The challenge is to buy fertile males, and NEVER bet a "pair" unless you can see fry. Unfortunately I paid very good money for "pairs" that were no more than a male and a female sold at the same time.

Years ago when I had sevs, my understanding was that all male golds are infertile. I was told to breed a female gold with a male green and you will in fact get both gold and green fry. Anyone have any other ideas on the fertility of gold males?

Trav

Yes noddy I do, there is Definetely fertile males.

I got my fry from a local breeder that had a pair a gold sevs breeding flat out.

They were breeding when I was there.

She, the breeder had many stages of fry.

Both parents looked male with all the worming around the face to but obviously not.

They both had severe pop eye as well.

She said when they have a break from breeding the eyes go back in !!!

Both genetalia were identical except for the male had a little point at one side of his square tube.

I have four pairs from the mentioned parents.

I am focusing on two pairs at the moment.

Both these pairs are on the top tank shelf needing a crate for me to step on to look in.

They will do their thing and lay.

The second my head rises to look at, they straight away instantly eat their eggs, both parents.

How weird is that.

Archived