Do Plecos Hunt?

Nazim

This might be a really bizarre question to ask. I have a tankful of large cichlids, a couple of one-foot plecos and a number of bristlenose catfish.

I saw one of my Plecos munching on a dead bristlenose a week ago and I thought nothing of it as I figure they are scavengers. However, this morning I've seen him "guarding" two dead bristlenose. What are the odds that I've just lost them to natural causes? Do Plecos hunt as well as scavange?

Plecos have been known to attach them selves to injured fish but not attacking. If your bottom dwellers aren't happy, you may have some water issues. Test parameters and do a decent 40-50% water change.

Ant

i have had plecos hunt down and kill other plecos quite often. once over 20cm they can become quite territorial and kill off other plecs in your tank. some people see it, others dont, but it does happen. now i never keep more than one pleco/gibbi in any tank once they are about 15cm or more simply because I got sick of losing them due to fighting.

I have 6 P. gibbiceps in a 6x2x2, 3 are 15-20cm and the other three are 35-45cm T.L. no issues, that said it is much more common for them to be aggressive towards any other similar sized bottom dwelling species. Not what I would call an active hunter, but anything that dies is fair game.

Thanks for the interesting responses. I've seen this pleco be aggressive towards the other pleco I have in the tank, which is the same size as it. That's what made me wonder if it could have actively gone after the bristlenose for a meal.

By the way, I don't know a great deal about the different species of plecos and their dietary requirements etc. I inherited these guys a couple of years ago with a tank I purchased and I've been feeding them what I give my Fronnies and Bristlenose, i.e. Cichlid pellets, frozen peas, occasional blood worms and algae wafers. They seem very healthy and have grown quite large since I've had them, but I do wonder if I need to pay closer attention to their particular dietary needs. Can someone please help me identify these guys and provide some rookie advice?

http://www.nazimcricket.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/my-plecos-playing-nice_27.html

Not sure on the species of albino likely G.Gibbiceps (If it has large dorsal). If it doesn't it could be P. Scrophus or H. Plecostomus. The other one is a gold spot (Glyptoperichthys Joselimaianus).<br /><br />They love cooked pumpkin and zucchini (microwave then let to cool). Just gotta make sure you pull out any uneaten food.

Not sure on the species of albino likely G.Gibbiceps (If it has large dorsal). If it doesn't it could be P. Scrophus or H. Plecostomus. The other one is a gold spot (Glyptoperichthys Joselimaianus).<br /><br />They love cooked pumpkin and zucchini (microwave then let to cool). Just gotta make sure you pull out any uneaten food.

Thank you Ant!

Archived