Firemouth Diary

Firemouth

G'day folks,

Just starting a thread documenting the life and times of my beloved Firemouths.

ATM I have a young male and female Firemouth sharing a 3ft community tank with an assortment of tetras, platies, rainbow shark, siamese algae eater, a Hoplo and bristlenose cat.

My plan is to update the thread reasonably regularly showing the growth of fish, the evolution of the tank and it's occupants and hopefully showcase my growing experience and experimentation with aquarium photography.

Feel free to comment on the pictures etc. or even post pics of your own firemouths as I'd love to see what you have aswell.

Hope you enjoy it.

Heres the tank as it is right now.

All plants are the fake silk jobs apart from some live floating stuff in the top left.

017a.jpg

Heres a few pics of the Firemouths that I've had for a month or so.

Maybe 2 - 2.5 inches.

FMsr11.jpg

FMsr17.jpg

FMsr.jpg

016s.jpg

FMsr4.jpg

FMsr9.jpg

028s.jpg

FMsr15.jpg

Thanks fellas.

These aren't bad but I've had better before.

The red on their throats is more orange than red and they lack some of the spangling along their flanks.

Just have to wait an see how they mature now.

I'd have no hesitation to move them on if I stumble across some real nice young ones.

Been a long time since I've done that though.

As you may see in some of the pics I did have some Java fern in there with the silks but it struggled with the harder water so I took them out.

All silk now.

None of the tankmates are an easy mouthful so they pretty much get ignored.

I've found with Firemouths they need the activity provided by the other fish to make them feel properly comfortable.

On their own they'd spend alot of their time hiding.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Really great looking fish thanks for sharing im just starting new tank and new to cichlids and looking for pics of fish id like in there , are these afican cichlids ? Also how would the go in a large community , im trying to plan in advance what to put in a new 600L tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived