NLS bucket prices

waruna

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't even believe i'm explaining these things here.. I'm pointing out that there are other expenses.

but.. you're largely pointing out expenses and complications that apply to every other region that NLS is sold in to varying extents.

RD pointed out that pretty much the same list applies in his region yet Australian prices are double the Canadian prices.

Similarly, buying just 200 buckets at retail prices in the US and freighting it here by ordinary parcel post results in a price about 60% or Australian retail.

As the importer I'm absolutely certain you're not paying retail prices for your stock and can't imagine you're paying postal-service rates for freight (though your response to Michiel implies I might be on shaky ground with that last assumption).

Hmm This is the first NLS thread I've actually opened and read for some time and it's had a curious but I think beneficial impact on me.

I've gone from from being a long time and fairly large hobbyist-level user, happy with the product but occasionally wishing it wasn't so expensive to one where I am almost certainly not going to buy any more and will be trying pretty seriously to find a decent alternative before the hald dozen buckets in my cupboards run out.

That's probably been kicking along for some time as I've thought a few times that I'm being irrational paying as much as I do on NLS (not that that's the only irrational thing I do) but this thread has bumped me over the apathy line so thank you.

Laurie, the above statement you quoted was a reply to a specific question by Michiel.. Thanks for your input.

Laurie, the above statement you quoted was a reply to a specific question by Michiel.. Thanks for your input.

Thanks Waruna, that may be the case but Lauries point is still valid

Similarly, buying just 200 buckets at retail prices in the US and freighting it here by ordinary parcel post results in a price about 60% or Australian retail.

As the importer I'm absolutely certain you're not paying retail prices for your stock and can't imagine you're paying postal-service rates for freight (though your response to Michiel implies I might be on shaky ground with that last assumption).

What are your thoughts or comments relating to his point?

I can't even believe i'm explaining these things here.. I'm pointing out that there are other expenses.

but.. you're largely pointing out expenses and complications that apply to every other region that NLS is sold in to varying extents.

RD pointed out that pretty much the same list applies in his region yet Australian prices are double the Canadian prices.

Hmm This is the first NLS thread I've actually opened and read for some time and it's had a curious but I think beneficial impact on me.

I've gone from from being a long time and fairly large hobbyist-level user, happy with the product but occasionally wishing it wasn't so expensive to one where I am almost certainly not going to buy any more and will be trying pretty seriously to find a decent alternative before the hald dozen buckets in my cupboards run out.

That's probably been kicking along for some time as I've thought a few times that I'm being irrational paying as much as I do on NLS (not that that's the only irrational thing I do) but this thread has bumped me over the apathy line so thank you.

Laurie - I only opened this thread because somebody asked me to. I, too, am over the politics.

I'm sure it wont bother anyone in the business, since I no longer have a fish room and only use a wee bit of nls these days for my display neesd, but I made the decision recently to no longer support NLS.

For the record Waruna, I had no show stopping issues with price. I think $65/kg is on the expensive side for fish food when bought at volume but I paid it happily enough. I wouldn't feed myself for long paying $65/kg...

For me, the issue is the hard headed opinions of a very vocal minority that spoil the brand. I realise their intention is actually to further the brand and grow reputation, but I feel like my personal space is being invaded by all the non-paid advertising in a public space. It reminds me of people trying to sell me shit on George St walking to the station after work. What started for me, as recommending a food that I thought was the best I had seen, now makes me feel like an unwilling participant in a cult.

Some people need to learn self control.

Refuse to buy nls and you'll see the price plummet.

When my bucket runs out, i wont be buying one again. Plenty of cheaper decent alternatives out there.

I have been paying $28 for 190gm of wardley tropical flake. Thats $140 + a kg. I wish I could buy it in bulk. Based on that price the NLS price doesn't look too bad. But at $50 USD a bucket I can see why people question the price in Australia.

My opinion is that the supplier is not doing enough for the Australian distributor if I believe all previous comments.

Its mentioned that the price of NLS has only risen by a small amount in the last decade or so.

A few points i think that don't gel are;

1) how many customers were there a decade ago for NLS, i'm assuming there are quite a few more now which should equal a bulk discount to the Oz importer.

2) The AUD bought 70 US cents a decade ago and now does better than parity. When you buy something from US you pay their price and its then translated to our value. If the exchange rate has changed then the cost definitely will too.

3) $110 a bucket 10 years ago was considerabely more expensive then, comparatively, than $140 is now, based on average wages etc.

I use NLS and recommend it but it is over priced. Being a premium product demands a premium price tag and will do as long as people will pay it.

A BMW is imported like a Kia is but that doesn't keep them equally priced. there's much more to the arguement of comparing apples to apples.

There are local made products aiming to be cheaper than NLS? they don't have the costs associated with production and import and sale etc. they definitely don't have the respected brand and product NLS has earnt.

The debate of LFS versus online store comes down to price as there is no human service provided on line. A LFS can't compete due to overheads. AOA is a great online store and provide a very professional service but i doubt they could do all their business with 5 staff if all their sales were done across the counter. Effectively 1 large website takes sales from every LFS in the areas they will ship to. Depending on volume of sales a single website might not compare to a LFS but possibly be more comparative to a chain of LFS's. The number of employees and total overheads then is relative to sales volume.

I'm not complaining about AOA (i'm a happy repeat customer) but on-line stores have the advantages of big chain stores buying power without the overheads.

Back on topic, i use NLS as my main staple but mix it with 3-4 other foods in a mixed container and feed the mixture to all my fish.

If its about growth only though, the best product is the cheap generic "Home Brand" tropical fish pellet from Woolworths. My mother in law grows me a batch of fry to adult size quicker than i can. I change her water every 2-3 months and clean the tank and filter while i'm there. She overfeeds and has no idea what she's doing but grows me the best coloured and healthiest fish you'll find. She's currently growing me some yellows and blues to add to my breeding colonies. But still I buy NLS???

Cheers Couchy.

It's funny how people talk about retail overheads vs online, and use AOA as an example.

I realise most people commenting seem to be from Sydney, and probably haven't visited Ben's retail shopfront in QLD, right?

I have, it's actually a very nice store. It is NOT just warehouse space for his online business.

As for online shopping not having customer service? Have you ever called Ben? Or sent him an email? Or do you just browse the website?

I think the one very smart move Ben made wasn't necessarily being a predominantly online based store, but foregoing livestock. Livestock maintenance is obviously a massive overhead but to suggest AOA doesn't have many other overheads is a bit rich.

NLS is a premium food, and yes it is expensive and I too choose carefully when and where I buy it to make it economical. Is it over priced? Perhaps, but I don't know the answer. When comparing, It must be compared to the price of other imported premium foods available here not the price of NLS in the US.

In the US minimum wage is obscenely low, we pay our workers here a fair wage. Property prices in Australia are over priced in world terms therefore rents are a lot higher and thirdly the population is low, so turnover volumes are much lower than the US so the profit margin must be higher to make business viable. All these factors mean comparing any price to US prices is an impossible task. This is on top of all the import red-tape.

However, the best way to gauge is sales figures, in tough economic times, people will switch from premium products to more utilitarian products. If there is "fat" in the price and sales have dropped usually the fat gets trimmed. The end user has no way to determine how much "fat" there is, and everyone still needs to make a fair profit.

I am still confused about this thread though. Never have I seen an importer ask or even engage in pricing discussion with the end user. No matter what the price point, it will be too expensive for some, fair for others and some will buy it no matter what the price. This type of discussion opens up a whole can of worms, and potentially can damage the image of a brand. It just seems unprofessional to me.

A customer survey form included in the tubs with a self addressed stamped envelope would get a much more honest response. Those that buy the product and use it can have their honest feedback. Feedback from those who don't use the product is limited as you can't tell which people will never use the product and which people would. A price drop may not increase "usership" enough to cover the loss of margin. This is where some mathematical modelling needs to be done.

That's my $0.02

Ducksta, Being from Sydney I haven't seen his shop front, well pointed out...

I have dealt with Ben and his service is excellent and I assume his sales volumes are large so my point was a good operator like AOA can't be compared to a small town LFS. As you said he doesn't sell live stock so he doesn't have that overhead either.

I hope anyone else didn't miss my point. AOA is a very professional business with great customer service. If u can't get to their shop they sell online too.

The fact is most internet dealings and transactions are impersonal. If you have questions and need info u may prefer face to face conversations in a store. I shop online and I buy NLS from AOA as they are cheapest or price match.

Cheers Couchy

It's funny how people talk about retail overheads vs online, and use AOA as an example.

I realise most people commenting seem to be from Sydney, and probably haven't visited Ben's retail shopfront in QLD, right?

I have, it's actually a very nice store. It is NOT just warehouse space for his online business.

As for online shopping not having customer service? Have you ever called Ben? Or sent him an email? Or do you just browse the website?

I think the one very smart move Ben made wasn't necessarily being a predominantly online based store, but foregoing livestock. Livestock maintenance is obviously a massive overhead but to suggest AOA doesn't have many other overheads is a bit rich.

Cheers John you know i have always loved you :drunk: . Talking about livestock i just signed a new lease on a builiding this week. We begin shifting 3 doors down across the road in the next 2 - 3 months. We will actually be putting in 100 + tanks to service the local brisbane area. Will post up pics. Any breeders that i have dealt with over the years that breed quality live stock and willing to ship interstate please drop me a line : sales@aquariumproducts.com.au

Just when you think you've got a bloke pegged, he goes and does that.

That's great news Ben (for you - and for Brisbanites)

I'll be in QLD around July - might try to pop over for a look once it is settled.

Today only

Deal of the Day - Spectrum Cichlid Formula 2.27kg bucket Today only $99.95. Save $40.00

Get it if you can!

• 3 weeks later...

I have ordered food from overseas and got it numerous times and have also physically carried over 5 kilos of different food through Customs.....Was declared as exactly what it was and they didn't check it.

Archived