First impressions of New Era fish food.

mattrox

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Buccal,

Can't do the Red in the 10Kg and only the Green. Only because of the permit restrictions. The 20Kg red will be priced around $1200. The 10Kg half that I suppose. I need to sit down and work on a more accurate pricing because I don't anticipate 20Kg being a big seller and I need to order minimum quantities. The pricing is not that bad considering you will be using less food to feed the fish and need to consider other benefits like less maintenance/filter material costs etc.

Cheers

Arj

Hi guys,

Sorry I've been off for a while, so this reply is a bit belated.

My fish are really starting to warm up to it now, with only a few not devouring a tonne of it.

Thanks,

Tim

• 1 month later...

Great news guys. We will now be irradiating the product in the UK and the 1.8Kg and the NEW 10Kg bulk pellets will be in a sealed foil bag. After irradiation they will be put in the bucket. So there will not be any more issues with brittle plastic. Everything being finalised and my latest shipment will be done like this. No more 20Kg units and 10Kg will be released for Shops. But would like some feed back from you guys so that I know what to stock and keep in some fair quantities.

We are also looking into introducing a new polymer into the injection moulding to strengthen the plastic for the 120g and 300g tubs (which are not really affected).

Thanks again for your patience with this. FINALLY SORTED!!! smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

HI

I bought my first tub of new era just over 1 week ago.

First impression not that great the lid kept cracking and since has cracked more and more so I changed it all to a old bucket of NLS :(

I did not feed the fish for couple of days so they are hungry and go for the food.

First day the food sank to the bottom by about 5 min all got eaten

And now slowly slowly they eating it faster and faster.

Cause pellet size is larger the 3-4 cm fish take longer to finish the food and a cloud forms in my tank that the filter clears out pretty quick.

So far not 100% convinced on if its the best food I have used but its only 1 and a bit weeks

I think growth rate on the smaller fish will be faster cause size of pellets but definetly

More water changes will be needed to keep up with the food sitting in the tank longer before all finished.

The food is moist and easy to squash or crush down.

Once I have fed them for over 1 month I will coment if I notice

Changes / growth rates/ colour and water conditions.

I am using the cichlid formula wanted to buy the green one but still 50/50 if I'm happy with it before I spend the $$$

Hey Edwin did you happen to pick up the bucket from Stuart? I got mine from Stuart and he gave out a spare bucket and lid as well. But like you I had my whole bucket crumble before me and I used an old NLS bucket. I get the same clouds you speak of but do water changes every 3 weeks for my rack. I have K1 in my sump which should eliminate any nitrites or ammonia.

Yeah got it from Stuart

I read everywere about you won't get a red colour cloud like nls but getting white instead :)

Ill give it a good go then decide what food I will stick with.

Unless I see a big difference one does definitely work out a lot cheaper

I want to try the green one for mbuna and tropheus

But I don't want too risk a buckets worth yet I may see if someone has it and I trial it :)

Thanks for giving it a go guys. Please note that we recommend using New-Era only 50-60% of your normal feeding regime with the pellet. Because it's a soft pellet and high quality, you will need to feed less. You will also note that your filters (dacron etc) will be a lot cleaner.

What we found with the public aquariums is that after about a month, fish start to eat in groups and periodically. What I mean is that a wave of fish will devour the pellets on Monday and they will be less inclined to eat on Tuesday etc. We found that the fish were nutritionally satisfied and that's why they weren't going nuts everyday. The aggression in the tanks were also reduced drastically which meant that all fish had a chance to get the food and the curators were happy with not having to deal with health issues.

We are still finalising the logistic of getting the buckets in 10Kg. This will be made available via the retail stores. I need a couple of months to make sure that everything is running smoothly with the sealed foil bags and that they sit nicely in the bucket and survive the trip from UK. It's not as easy as you'd think :)

I also use a mix of the Green and Catfish pellet for my L numbers. They seem to love it. Must be the sea-weed component in it.

I have spare buckets and lids and if your retailer is running low, please get them to contact me or their local distributor.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Arj

Yeah I have one guy, Ken Harvey who is also a local breeder popping into stores. If you are not having luck, call me 0417388399 and I will sort it out for you.

at the moment, I only have 20Kg Rift Lake Red and some 10Kg Rift Lake Green.

After all the crap with AQIS is sorted out, I will bring in the 10Kg buckets in some of the more popular food and make it available to the retailers.

Any issues with spare buckets etc, drop me a PM, email or SMS or just buzz me. Happy to help.

cheers

Arj

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks again to all of you who are supporting the product.

I can now confirm that we DO NOT have to irradiate the product as a whole when it enters AUS. The mussel component needs to be certified etc because it's human grade and will get minimal irradiation back in the UK.

So, thank you for putting up with the brittle buckets. The next shipment has sealed foil bags to counter the irradiation issue and then after that, we won't have to worry about anything at all :)

Happy feeding.. (just don't overfeed)

Cheers

Arj

Hey mate, the 10Kg buckets of Red, Green and everything else lands on the 17th of July. So most likely they will be distributed to stores around the end of July and I can make sure the shop gets it when you need it. IF you can PM me the shop and your details, I will keep you in the loop as to when I send it.

Thanks

Cheers

Arj

Good stuff arj those buckets were ended up in the recycle bin as soon as they were opened. It is also good to see a regular supply starting to come thru.

Cheers

Rosco

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Sorry..I missed this post. YES... I have everything back in stock. Including the 10Kg buckets. IF you can get the shops to contact me, I can organise it. My distributor for NSW is Aquatic Solutions and I'm sure the shops would be dealing with them already.

Also..did I mention that we don't have to irradiate the product anymore!!! :woohoo:

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple of items for you guys to read :) one from reef builders and the other a testimonial from Dubai Mall Aquarium. They have been using New Era since 2008

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/08/21/cold-extruded-food-deliver-targeted-medicine-reef-fish/

http://www.new-era-aquaculture.com/fish-food/free-downloads

Thanks again for your support guys.

Cheers

Arj

Hi Arj,

whats the best way to maintain freshness when buying bulk ?

i am currently using the 1.8 kg tubs ? but if it works out better in 10 kg considering a bucket

humidity is insane here in Cairns in summer !

i could just about harvest the mould that grows on the fishroom walls !!!!!!!!

cheers mark

Archived