First impressions of New Era fish food.

mattrox

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is actually almost the same price per gram. Produces less waste and just as easily accepted by the fish. Just do what i did by a small amount first. Than buy bulk. I made the mistake of handing out free samples with my distributorship. Now after seeing how much it cost me i would never expect it from another distributor.

Thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:

I have organised small sachets of trial foods with my next order. They are actually in fully sealed small sachets. So anyone keen on trying it, just ask the shops.

But given the success with feeding it to my fish, local known breeders, shops, fish wholesalers and public aquariums, I know it will do well with your fish too :) If not, email me via my website and I will refund the money you spent on the food! Of course conditions apply.

Cheers

Arj

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ben was kind enough to send me a few samples with an order of some other food I ordered to experiment with after my NLS runs out. South American formula, some vege pellet, and a flake.

I have one display tank with quite a few hungry fish (Uaru, severum, eartheaters, silver dollars, asst. catties, oscars and yes, angelfish.), so a couple of sample bags approximately equals one feed.

All my fish had been on NLS cichlid formulas as their only commercial/dry food while in my care. Veges and fresh fish offcuts making up a tiny fraction when available.

Dropping the New Era in was funny. Opening the lid signifies feeding time so the fish were rolling around the surface as always.

But when I dropped the unfamiliar pellets and flakes in (these fish wouldn't have even seen a flake in ages, and tbh I'm not keen on flakes esp. as my fish are large...) they didn't know what to do. And ignored it all for all - maybe waiting for a normal feed.

The new era pellets sink... Quickly. (About 95% of them anyway) Not a lot of chance for the mid water frenzy that normally occurs with NLS feedings - so most ended up on the substrate in one area.

Once my smaller Uaru was tempted by a couple of the pellets, and the rest of the crew realised this weird new stuff was food, they went ballistic for it. To the point where I was laughing watching even my larger fish (12" +) sucking the last of the flake 'crumbs' off the surface one at a time.

I'd say once I'm due for a new bucket of food, if the larger new era buckets are available, I'll be on it like a fat kid on cake.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Aquaristic in Rosebery was stocking on their shelves tonight. I'm still a little unconvinced by the shape things like cyprichromis may find it a bit harder to eat then a round pellet.

They were only stocking the basics to begin with and go from there

My first impressions are good and my fish are smashing it except one colony my pulpicans who just ignored it and went for nls.my cyps were confused because it sunk so quickly but attack it quickly now.they don't seen to have a problem with shape of pellet. It is tipi early for me to see any other benefits.

Cheers

Rosco

One of my local lfs have recently starting stocking this and I bought a small tub of the rift lake red for my tang tank. Initial response was hesitant but I retried this morning and I have to say that the fish seem to be responding better. I do find the long pellets a little big for the cyps, but if I pinch them in half they seem fine with them, and the similis and julies seem to like them as well. I will persist with it over the next few weeks as I believe the initial reactions to the food may have been due to the initially jumpy nature of the cyps. Now that they are used to feeding time I think I will see a more accurate respone, stay tuned.....

thanks for giving it a go guys. You should also try the flake. It's nothing like you have ever seen. you will even see bits of ingredients on the big flakes. Because it's done under low temperature what they do is use an emulsion. Like a russian doll, the vitamins and minerals are encapsulated in water, then that in fish oil/minerals, and again in water etc etc so that when a flake hits the water, water soluble vitamins like vitamin C doesn't simply leach out straight away. Flake have had a bad reputation but that is because initially it was created out of left over pet food. We don't use any artificial colors or anything like that and as you know all the ingredients are human grade. The flake will hold it's shape in water and fish like cyps will love it. You should see how the marine anthias go for it.

cheers

Arj

I use it and its terrific....really good for fry , I drop a few pellets into the tank and its hold together really well for a long time, giving the fry the chance to nibble at it over a few hours....the other brand I used to use would turn to mush very quickly.

I also used to have an issue with lots of brown grung in my filters, since swapping that has all but disappeared

Picked up some of the tropical flake today, crushed a little up and tried it in the tang tank. 1st impressions are very positive, cyps wolfed it down, bit of interest from the other fish but not a lot, I am finding it a bit hard to get the julies to eat enthusiastically, any advice?

Arj,

Once I run down my flake I will give it a go add well but it might be a while. Given it is food grade I may end up eating given my last electricity bill lol. It just went up 40% partially because my usagehas gone up with the bigger room but mainly because of the carbon tax that is not going to affect anyone. I regret missing out on solar panels now let me tell you. I am just going to happy that my water and filetts my not be stained red.

Cheers

Rosco

Archived