Apistos - how many and what M:F ratio

kb46

I'm in the process of setting up a 4' x 18" x 18" low tech planted tank. I already have 5 Melantaenia splendida tatei (desert rainbowfish) and I would like some cichlids as my feature fish.

How many Apistogramma agassazii would you recommend, and what ratio of males to females?

Also, would the apistos be compatible with a group of other bottom dwellers, say corydoras?

I find rainbows quite good with Apistos and have them with 4-5 species.They are greedy and you need to watch that the Apistos get some food.

For a tank of that size you could easily fit 12 aggas.Its always best to get more females as most Apistos (barring the common njisseni group)are haremic polygamists.

Catfish get along fine as long as there is heaps of hiding spaces.If you want to breed the Apistos both the rainbows and the catfish will pick of the fry

Here's a picture of one of my Apisto tanks(A.panduro)raising tank for breeding stock so no other fish

IPB Image

People need to reaqd up on optimal water conditions required for rainbowfish and Apiistogramma. I suggest both the previous two contributors look at what water conditions are best, which isd more than just keeping fish alive.

.Its always best to get more females as most Apistos (barring the common njisseni group)are haremic polygamists.

great info there on apisto's I have tried keeping pairs with little tono success. What size tank is that panduro tank

cheers

rosco

.Its always best to get more females as most Apistos (barring the common njisseni group)are haremic polygamists.

great info there on apisto's I have tried keeping pairs with little tono success. What size tank is that panduro tank

cheers

rosco

The tank is 3 fter.The Apistos that tend to pair bond that are common are panduro,njisseni and baenchi (plus the rarely seen pantalone and rositae).Any Apisto can be spawned in pairs but aggression is often an issue

Re water conditions and rainbows,Aussie rainbows are very adaptable,if you research water conditions M splendida tatei can be found in acidic water.(see Adrian Tappins book)

I probably should have mentioned I dont keep New Guinea rainbows in soft acid water as they are rarely found (although occasionally)in these conditions and the fry tend to be deformed if raised in soft acid water(bent spines esp),not the case with Aussies.I tend to keep smaller Aussie rainbows with Apistos esp Rhadinocentrus and M.mccullochi both found in extremely acid water at times.

I like keeping NG rainbows with Tanganykan cichlids esp shellies and julies

Re water conditions and rainbows,Aussie rainbows are very adaptable,if you research water conditions

Thank you for the confirmation of my warning about optimal water conditions. Yes many species of creature are adaptable to less than optimal water conditions. This does not mean that one is using good animal husbandry. I believe in using optimal conditions and optimal matching as far as possible. When you show me rainbows happily co-habitating with Apistogramma in the Amazon basin, I will begin to give credence to your practices.

People need to reaqd up on optimal water conditions required for rainbowfish and Apiistogramma.

Thanks for the reminder that I will need to check my water pH and hardness and take that into consideration when making my choice. (As a side, I would prefer to be addressed directly rather than in third person, just feels a bit friendlier to me.)

From what I am reading, perhaps Apistogramma cacatuoides would be a better choice. I am also looking at other fish, so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm not interested in breeding or husbandry - this is for a community tank that is as much for my family and visitors as it is for me to enjoy.

When you show me rainbows happily co-habitating with Apistogramma in the Amazon basin, I will begin to give credence to your practices.

If we stuck to that policy there would be no community tanks only biotope tanks.Most of my 110 tanks are single species tanks but I know thats not what is going to happen in general public aquarium land,90% of fish keepers need to make some compromises with tank conditions given the fish they keep.

kp46

Caccatuoides are the most adaptable Apisto but many fish offered for sale are deformed or defective.Aggas are less prone to this.Chose carefully.Other dwarf cichlids that would suit would be keyhole cichlid,Anamalochromis thomasi,the African butterfly (one of my favourites)the golden eye cichlid and all the laetacara species like cerviceps.Definitely avoid Rams

Funny - it was to find out more about Laetacara curviceps that I joined the forum but didn't find many threads on them so thought they might be not be around in Australia and just too hard to get hold of. Then a list of Fishchick's stock got me thinking about Apistos since I knew I would be able to source good stock through her shop.

What is the best way to find a breeder in Australia? (I suppose applying for access to the classified section in this forum might be a start?)

If we stuck to that policy there would be no community tanks only biotope tanks.Most of my 110 tanks are single species tanks but I know thats not what is going to happen in general public aquarium land,90% of fish keepers need to make some compromises with tank conditions given the fish they keep.

So obviously you are against responsible fish heeping. Community tanks and biotope tanks are not exclusive. Oh well I will not try to convert people who will not listen or heed responsible and proper fish keeping.

A courteous approach to public debate is to attack the issue not the person so I wont respond to that

kb46

Breeders can be found but not that many are keen on strangers going to their fish rooms given the possibilty of fish being stolen(sad but true)

Its best to look at the wholsalers lists(Bay and AI)plus other stock lists(like at Jodi-Leas) at your LFS and make a choice you'll generally find a whole range of dwarf cichlids.

Aquarium life forum has quite alot of breeders who breed dwarf cichlids so thats another possible source,plus the buy and sell section of this forum.

Good luck

Archived