Help & experience required

Mofo

(Please help advice & experience needed)

I am in the process of having a 6 X 2 X 2ft tank being made.

I need so advice & thoughts from people on what is the best & most effective filtration system I can place in this tank. Regardless of cost.

I am not really familiar with any Sump ore trickle filter form. The tank will be holding around 20 Lake Malawi Cichlids. The tank builder recommends the below in the photo.

This is a photo of the unit it`s self they make. He suggested I use this set up with Twin Over boxes setup? Includes 3xBulkheads, Holes and Grids in Grey Glass. Now I don’t really know what that means??? This I what they advise on there web sight (On larger Aquariums (6ft x 2ft x 2ft ) we recommend that you have an Overflow box at each end of the Aquarium to maintain the flow within the Aquarium to avoid dead spots and also recommend having a Trickle filter connected to the overflow boxes situated within your Cabinet)

IPB Image

Overflow boxes come complete with Bulkhead fitting and grids.

Trickle filters come complete with Bio balls, Bulkhead fitting, Grids/Spray Bar, and Filter matting.

Or would a below sump system be a better option???

IPB Image

Also what size pumps should I be using for this size set up???

Would 1 or 2 x Eden 140 2800lph be the go? Or 1 x Eden 5000lph?? Or what should I use???

I have put a deposit down but the build hasn’t started yet so changes can be made.

I personsly would go the 2nd setup. You will get get beter filtration out of it both bio and mechanical. I would Also go a single pump around 5000-6000lph

I need some advice & thoughts from people on what is the best & most effective filtration system I can place in this tank. Regardless of cost

Personally I'd go for 2 cannister filters......

Sumps take water off the surface....so you need strong current to get rid of solids(mechanical filtration)

Cannisters take water from just above substrate so give much better mechanical filtration IMO

Having 2 gives you a fail safe....you dont loose any floor space to overflow boxes

Yes you will need to clean cannisters more often....but in doing so you are removing the waste instead of storing it in the sump

Trickle filters are great for high density.....shops, wholesalers but trouble is if filter stops and bioballs dry....you have lost your bacteria

With cannisters bacteria will last longer as they will be in water

You will only get enough bacteria to process available waste.....both systems will do the job more than adequately for stocking levels nominated(NOT THAT BIG)

Cannisters are more efficent.....being a closed system.....pump losses little power

Sumps are normally stored below the tank so you need to look at the pump size relavent to how high it has to pump(head) .....you will need a much bigger pump than you would need in a cannister to get the same flow

It's not always the car with the biggest motor that is the fastest around the race track!

I personsly would go the 2nd setup. You will get get beter filtration out of it both bio and mechanical. I would Also go a single pump around 5000-6000lph

Hey Jrod.

Thanks for your feed back.

Would you surges I have a single return from the pump at one end of the tank? Or should I have 2 returns 1 at each end of the tank.

The over flow tanks will be at each end at the back, if this helps at all.

Years ago I would have said go the sump, but these days I have to agree with Rod54. Clean, simple and quite.

If you go the sump route then I would go for two return pumps, but I would get something around 4000lph each to try and get some flow in the water and help move particles into the filters. Overflows can be modified to take from the bottom of the tank its only a matter of adding extra glass around the overflow and making the water flow between the two glass pieces.

Josh

Hey Jrod.

Thanks for your feed back.

Would you surges I have a single return from the pump at one end of the tank? Or should I have 2 returns 1 at each end of the tank.

The over flow tanks will be at each end at the back, if this helps at all.

I normally go for the duel outlet spray bars. One at each end. But a single spraybar in the middle might also work. What you want is a nice current or whirlpool in the tank so it picks up all waste throughout the tank and brings it towards the weir.

id go the second set up also has compartments to add carbon purigen, also one pump atleast 6000LPH, 2800 wont be enough, my 2 foot cube has a 2800LPH pump .

One overflow box will be perfect dont go the two it will take up space in the tank and cost more as well. I had a tank like your size with one overflow box, trickle system and it did an excellent job and it kept the tank crystal clear. There are many succesful 6x2 running with one overflow.

Years ago I would have said go the sump, but these days I have to agree with Rod54. Clean, simple and quite.

If you go the sump route then I would go for two return pumps, but I would get something around 4000lph each to try and get some flow in the water and help move particles into the filters. Overflows can be modified to take from the bottom of the tank its only a matter of adding extra glass around the overflow and making the water flow between the two glass pieces.

Josh

Hey my RO biocube came stock with the overflowbox with perspex weir with holes in the middle around the overflow to make it flow at the bottom. But problem with mine is theres no flow at the top? Ive been thinking covering the holes. but really cant as my tanks wet, Does your get flow at the top? if so you know whats wrong with mine

If cost is not a problem then i would do both sump and cannister!! Thats what i use on my tanks and it works really well. You cant have too much filtration and then if one fails you have a backup, and i also have only one overflow but really its personal preference just make sure you have more filtration than not enough.

Cheers,

Damo

i would be getting as big a sump as possible to increase water volume, one large 40mm overflow is sufficient for one large 5000lph return pump. and is also cheaper than 2 canisters and MUCH more efficient at keeping your tank clean.. if your worried about crap building up in the tank you can purchase a cheap powerhead or wave maker to 'stir' things up

i personally have a 6x2x2 with 1 40mm overflow and a 5000lph pump so im talking from experience.. tank's heavily stocked and this setup keeps it nice and clean/healthy.

get it right the first time and you wont regret it..

2nd sump set-up for sure!!!

as bwah said as big as possible...you cant compare the volume of media you can put in a sump compared to a canister.

sump is also much better value IMHO, if set-up right maintaining it will be a breeze, just replace pre-filter/dacron every couple of weeks. Major overhaul maybe once every 6months or so.

1xweir is more than enough, no real need for one at each end, put the output at opposite end.

You dont even need wet/dry.....google matrix sumps, equivalent to a giant canister......

pros: heaters in sump, additional volume, easy to maintain,

cons: weir/overflow pipe can be unsightly, noise of the standpipe if not set-up properly.

most importantly USE QUALITY MEDIA!

I have to agree with Damo, Momo and Bwah, go for a 2nd sump with extra canister if possible, I have a sump with full of matrix and an Eheim 2217 and the water is crystal clear, my 6th is over stocked with Tropheus and Tangs. There's no such thing as over-filtration, you never get enough filtration.

Kevin

Hey Guys,

Thank you all so much for your time & more than valuable advice you have all given me.

I am leading towards option 2 the wet sump set up. Will a sump size of 3ft x 18" x 18" be ok?? Or should It be bigger??

I will change my over flow to a 1 x 40mm. Is there any benefit if I go any bigger than 40mm??

Also what size Plumbing should I be using for the intake & the return??? & will the pump size be determined by these sizes?

Also what type of power head or wave maker should I go for?? (I don’t know nothing about these) I want this to look neat as possible. So the les obvious the better.

Pump wise I am leaning towards the Eden 159 5000lph

• 5000lph

• 82 watts

• 3.1m Head Height

• Inline & Submersible

• Fully adjustable water flow ( 1000lph to 5000lph )

• Thermal shut off

• Inlet / Outlet thread 3/4"" BSP

• Dimensions ( 11.5cm x 5.4cm x 11.9cm )

• Ceramic shaft

Kind Regards,

Scott Schrapel

the 3ft sump would be a minimum, as previouly mentioned larger is better, but the 3ft will be ok..

if u can get a 4ft for a little extra $ then go for it

no need to go larger than 40mm, that will flow plenty

as for return plumbing, well that needs to be same size as pump outlet

wave makers are generally used for salt water aquariums and can be very expensive, there are cheap units available on ebay which are fine for your purpose, i have been running a few for over a year without a problem.. they dont really stand out much either

the eden's are good pumps, there are others that use less power, but can vary in price..

are you buying it from the store thats building the tank or online? as they often alot cheaper online..

good luck and we look forward to pics :)

Thanks Bwah.

All you guys have helped clear things up for me so much so far. Your information & experience is priceless to me. It means a lot guys thanks.

I am lucky I have some time before the build starts to change these things. We just brought our first house. A few weeks ago. We only move in on the 25th November.

So I new it was time to get my big tank. I had a 4ft set up years ago but sold it when we moved interstate as I didn’t want to damage it.

So I will be sure to post some photos up once I take delivery & start the set up.

It`s all starting to make sense to me now.

Can I plumb the return trough the bottom of the tank at the opposite end of the overflow? Using a 90 degree elbow?

Or would this best be run along the top with a spray bar???

So far this is what I have gotten together.

This is being supplied from the aquarium builder.

6ft x 2ft x 2ft Aquarium in 10mm $950.00

6ft x 2ft Foam Base $25.00

Aintree Cabinet Stained Golden Oak $877.95

Extra door on Side $125.95

Eden Hood Stained Golden Oak $375.95

Over boxes Twin setup $249.95ea (From your guys advice I will be changing this to 1 x 40mm over flow)

The sump as below will be coming from a separate company.

I have requested a price on the 4ft version. They gave me a rough price of $500 for the 3ft sump with Eheim media.

IPB Image

I have already taken delivery of the below that was ordered off Guppys. Best prices I found any where.

1 x 6ft T8 39w light set up $155

2 x 300w Jagger heaters $50 each

1 x Eden 159 5000lph $129

I don’t know what else I am going to need??? I will get some wave makers. Any recommendations would be more that welcome.

Thank you all, and I look forward to any advice positive & negative you may have to help me succeed in building my dream tank.

Kind Regards,

Scott

I have heard it is abit pricier over there, but paying an extra $250 for EACH weir? Surely that is 95% profit? Especially when the tank is costing you $950. That is even way overpriced for both weirs at $250. Its just a couple of pieces of glass with a couple of holes and abit of PVC.

And if I was paying close to $1300 for a hood and cabinet I wouldnt expect to pay extra for an additional door, seeing as it is just a couple of hinges.

Don't want to sound like im whinging but if you can save money somewhere (obviously without compromising quality) it is definately worth it. You will have more cash to spend on fish/substrate/rocks to fill it!!

Cheers,

Mat

Hey Guys,

This is just a little feed back on the prices hear in South Australia we are quoted.

I just received this from another local shop. This is just for the tank it`s self. Is this tank something supper special??? Or are we just being ripped off?????

We custom build all our larger aquariums in house (sold under the Aquatek name) .They are built to a standard and not down to a price. We use Australian glass that is bonded together with high quality GE silicone. The silicone is injected into the seams to give a continuous and bubble free finish. They are a premium product. Our 6ft x 2ft x 2ft aquarium in 10mm FEP black silicone with lids will cost $1767.15 (aquarium only no overflo included). :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Kind Regards,

Scott

That other shop charges a premium price. The glass on the tanks is not the "green" colour and it is a more expensive glass to begin with, but still.... Each tank would take quite a long time to build, as I have looked at them closely, so the man-hours adds to the cost.

In part hey are using that... "we build to a standard" line to justify prices, however in their defence they will provide you with after sales service and will spend the time with you to make sure you get exactly what you want. Plus, when you talk with them most of the staff know exactly what they are talking about. It is not a waste of money in the sense that you get what you pay for but it is a more costly route to take.

If you go with them for the tank, it would be silly to get just a 6x2x2 with no overflow. Pay the extra and use their expertise to have the overflows and bulkheads etc installed. Make it a premium tank.

You just have to look at their cichlid display tank to see that the glass they use does show off the fish well and that the aquariums they build are high quality . Having said that, you can achieve a similar result with less expensive glass. Especially if you go black silicone and ground edges. I guess it is like Holden/Ford vs. Mercedes .... they both get you from A to B but if money were no object which yould you rather drive?

$1800 for a 6x2x2 starphire tank with black silicone, is ridiculously overpriced in my opinion. I have no idea why prices are so much higher in adelaide but surely they cant be 3-4 times sydney costs?

i had a quote for a 7x2x2 earlier this year and it was roughly $500, and an option for starphire was an extra $100-$200 depending how many panels were starphire or normal float glass. i daresay i could get the tank you were quoted on for $600 easily over here, with the same customer service and after sales support from a very reputable LFS, no discounts etc just walk in off the street and get a quote, pay a deposit and have it built in a few weeks.

maybe you guys should rent a truck and come to sydney for a massive group buy on tanks and drive them back home yourselves, may well work out cheaper! hahaha

I do think the wholesale price of glass over hear is more expensive, but that is what I hear (rumor). There is also less competition in the tank making market. I just wonder what transport and insurance runs.

Could phone up an LFS and buy the tank, phone up removalists and get a pick up quote for door to door. It would probably be a lot cheaper than $1800 all up. The only problem is if the tank arrived with the wrong configuration.....

Hey Guys,

Is Opti clear glass the same glass as Starphire??

This is what my builder told me the price would be if i use this type of glass.

starphire but we call it Opti clear. If we wish to have that type add around $3,000-$4,000 to your quote.

Basic tank no overflows etc will cost $5240.00 in Opticlear

I am only going to buy the cabinet through them & get my tank else where.

Any recommendations on the east coast??? I am not looking for a cheap job i want the best guy for the job. I will get it delivered over hear my self.

Cheers guys,

Archived