Table Salt Vs Rock Salt

robdog013

Tonight I ran out of Rock salt and decided to add some table salt to my tank, to prevent Ich.

Only I noticed that the water is now cloudy after adding this salt (this normally doesnt happen with the rock salt), is this anything to worry about?

Has anyone ever encountered this? Is the cloudiness a result of the anti caking agent in the tabel salt?

cheers

Rob

Tonight I ran out of Rock salt and decided to add some table salt to my tank, to prevent Ich.

Only I noticed that the water is now cloudy after adding this salt (this normally doesnt happen with the rock salt), is this anything to worry about?

Has anyone ever encountered this? Is the cloudiness a result of the anti caking agent in the tabel salt?

cheers

Rob

Ive read an article once upon a time, stating that the iodine in table salt has little to no effect in the aquarium.

Ive recently done a strong salt bath on a bristlenose with whitespot. I used table salt cause i was fresh out of rock salt. Water did not cloud, fish was fine.

I would always use rock salt though, just to eliminate anything that "may" go wrong.

HTH

iodised salt (table salt) contains an anti-coagulant

do you really want to add that to your tank??

i certainly don't.

rock salt is cheap and easy to use. it's pure salt. that's all you want to be adding to your tank.

Epsom salt is MgSO4 (magnesium + sulphate), used to raise general hardness.

rock salt, predominantly, is NaCl (sodium Chloride).

epsom salt will not achieve the desired effect of treating itch in the fish, but it will raise the general hardness.

Archived