What will eat snails & not Pep BN and cherry shrimp

bojulabah

I have a 4' tank with several pairs of breeder peppermint Bristlenose and also a few cherry red shrimp. I want to rid the tank of the snails, but not baby BN and shrimp - I have a "Dwarf" zebra loach that I was told would eat the snails, but he is tiny and the snails (round red shell about 2-3mm in diameter) are still there after 3 months.

Any suggestions??

believe it or not you can buy snail traps they work very well ?

also drop in some veggies make sure they sink and have some fishing line tied on when the snails come to eat just pull out of tank flick snails off and drop back in for more

also you can buy snail rid but you have pepps

lastly take the whole tank apart and be more careful ??

BFJ

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Clown loaches seem to work really well but unfortunately like everyone has said, will probably dine on the peppy eggs and/or shrimp first..

I wouldnt recommend snail-rid as the amount you have to use to get rid of them completely, will probably kill the shrimp and peppys.. :bye:

As much of a pain as it is, BFJ has the best solution for you..

Have fun!!

why buy a snail trap, make your own

nice clean vegimite jar (must have in any aussie home ) drill hole in top the size for the snails to enter add some food and leave over night, works a treat but you never get rid of them all though especially them pesky live bearing cone snails

• 2 weeks later...

its a pain full task but boil your rocks ... on boil for half an hour an may be empty tank wipe down tank ...empty it ....put an inch of water in it then a bag of 25kg salt for $7 from bunnings an leave it for an hour ...that high concentrate of salt should do it .. wash out well before you fill .... got to be better than bleach to kill them as its poison etc .... you get the drift

• 10 months later...

Have tried all of the above , once those cone snails get into a tank it's almost impossible to get them out without stripping the tank down. Quite enjoy crushing them in a Malawi tank. Once you introduce The Snail Killer -Clown Loach your fry numbers will rapidly decline. Have used "Trets" (Neolamprologus Tretacephalus) successfully in the past for this role.Don't believe the bad press about Trets BTW ;I have had them in a Tang community tank for years with no probs.I think the best idea short of complete overhaul is a nightly broccoli "trap" in a jar. Can you temporarily house the Peppers elsewhere while a bunch of Clowns do their thing ?

Q: What will eat snails & not Pep BN and cherry shrimp

A: A French man? woot.gif

:spaz:

I have learnt the hard way, clown loaches enjoy bristlenose eggs more than conical snails :wallbash:

What surprised me though is that the bristlenose don't seem to object to the clown loaches sharing their tiny little caves with them. Are they intimidated or do they not care? I don't see the bristlenose exiting the caves when the loaches enter, they just stay in there with the loaches all the time.

I should really remove the loaches, but I kept thinking they will outgrow the small caves and not be able to enter plus I expected the bristlenose to repel them.

There is no fish in oz that will eat your snails in an aquarium as food is always there

If you want to rid you tank from snails for good only thing to do is strip your tank and clean it boiling water soak caves drift filter substrate if any.

It's a bigggggg job

If you want to live with them and can handle weekly Maintenance then use traps net them out your self

Don't use snail kill products! They will kill everything in your tank

snail rid ?

but the cats dont like it

small dose once a week, max half what the bottle tells you

? how will it kill everything in the tank?only if you over dose and dont read the dosage

• 1 month later...

they do look ugly but i leave my snails in there as well! they help clean the tank haha. been that way for 3 years and not a single fish has been harmed! someone told me they put a piece of cucumber and at night time when all the snails are on it u just throw it in the bin haha

Archived