rocks from rock pools/the beach

Mitch23

hi guys,

down at the local rock pools there is alot of nice rock, it looks kinga like slate or something like that and i dont know what its called or much about it but i know if you smash it sometimes theres fossils in it. it is kinda grey in colour.

does anyone know what it is? - is it ok for a malawi setup if i soak it in fresh water for a week or 2 and change the water around evry few days?

thanks

How soft is the rock? How easily can it be smashed up?

Could it be some kind of sandstone/limestone aggregate which is my first guess as you say it contains fossils in it. I see no problems in thoroughly washing it, drying it in the sun and using it for your Malawi tanks. If it leaches a little lime or salt the fish are not going to be bothered by it at all.

One problem though is that it is not legal to remove such rocks, driftwood, sand etc. However I have been dismayed at times when such things follow me and even get in my car and refuse to get out when I tell them to. What else can I do??

How soft is the rock? How easily can it be smashed up?

Could it be some kind of sandstone/limestone aggregate which is my first guess as you say it contains fossils in it. I see no problems in thoroughly washing it, drying it in the sun and using it for your Malawi tanks. If it leaches a little lime or salt the fish are not going to be bothered by it at all.

One problem though is that it is not legal to remove such rocks, driftwood, sand etc. However I have been dismayed at times when such things follow me and even get in my car and refuse to get out when I tell them to. What else can I do??

^ :lol1:

it would probably break if you droped them on concrete. its not sandstone or limestone. it is smooth and dark grey.

it would probably break if you droped them on concrete. its not sandstone or limestone. it is smooth and dark grey.

The more I reserach it the more I believe it is sandstone. Most of the Sydney sandstone is hard enough as you walk or sit on it, but that is because most exposed surfaces are steeped in insoluble ferric iron. Over time, groundwater with organic content can reduce this to soluble forms which seep through the rock to some point where the iron settles and oxidises to an insoluble form once more.

In some areas, organic matter trapped in the sandstone has produced concentric shells of insoluble iron as waves of soluble iron have diffused out and then settled back into their oxidised form. Later, when the rock has eroded away, an agate-like appearance shows us where the chemical reaction took place, in some former eon.

I have a photo of Sydney sandstone if anyone can tell me how to attach it

i think it is shale.. well some sort of hale.. is that ok to use?

Some shales are oil producing. Soak some of the rock in a bucket of water and if there does not develop an oil film on the top of the water, the rock is perfectly OK to use.

The principal problem with rocks is whether they are carbonate rich or not - if they are they will increase the hardness and pH of soft water tanks. As you are looking at a Malawi tank, that is not a problem

Archived