back up ideas ?

markfnq

about to get a whooping from cyclone yasi :( i have batt powered airators for my 4 tanks , whats to do with the cannisters???. we will loose power at some stage. just joined the hobby of burning money.... woops! :B i ment fish keeping. i wont feed tomorrow. any advice on the cannisters from the fish gurus would be great , thanks

The biological activity in cannisters will generally survive for about 2 hours without circulating water (that is, power).

So it depends on how you are using the cannisters (what media are in the cannisters). If it is carbon etc I would just replace that after the power comes back on. If noodles and sponges etc, I would be tempted to dismantle the cannisters and put these biological media in the actual tanks which may help keep the biological activity alive.

You can now easily buy starter media (Stability?) which will re-seed the canisters with biological activity. However you are likely to get another ammonia spike when everything starts up again.

All the best with Yasi. With some attention your fish should not suffer from the power outage

The biological activity in cannisters will generally survive for about 2 hours without circulating water (that is, power).

So it depends on how you are using the cannisters (what media are in the cannisters). If it is carbon etc I would just replace that after the power comes back on. If noodles and sponges etc, I would be tempted to dismantle the cannisters and put these biological media in the actual tanks which may help keep the biological activity alive.

You can now easily buy starter media (Stability?) which will re-seed the canisters with biological activity. However you are likely to get another ammonia spike when everything starts up again.

All the best with Yasi. With some attention your fish should not suffer from the power outage

all eheim media in cannisters. so you think putting the media in the tank will help. we had no power for 3 days after larry but i wasnt fishkeeping then. what about my fry tank??

all eheim media in cannisters. so you think putting the media in the tank will help. we had no power for 3 days after larry but i wasnt fishkeeping then. what about my fry tank??

Without power for 3 days,...nah media in the tanks will not be much help for the media. If possible daily water changes in each of the tanks and keep up the battery aeration. Feed the fish as little as possible and cover the tanks where possible. If the fish are in the dark, their respiration amd metabolism will be reduced.

Fish are more hardy than we often give them credit for

so are bacteria, they should survive longer than a few hours without circulation. 3 days might be another story. get some corner filters and stick the noodles etc in them to run with the battery pumps if your worried.

just putting media in the tank will help keep the bio alive but not add much to filtration

about to get a whooping from cyclone yasi :( i have batt powered airators for my 4 tanks , whats to do with the cannisters???. we will loose power at some stage. just joined the hobby of burning money.... woops! :B i ment fish keeping. i wont feed tomorrow. any advice on the cannisters from the fish gurus would be great , thanks

G'day

Going to agree with just about everyone else but here is my 2 cents worth.

Disconnect the cannisters and clean them out (you may as well dry them out as well). This way you can restart when the power comes back on.

I agree get some of the media and make some corner filters/ icecream filters and run them on the batteries.

Don't worry about the heating.

Keep the food to minimal levels.

Batten down the hatches and keep ya chin up.

Goodluck

Matthew

Archived