I THINK I POISEND MY CICHLIDS

Mitch23

Hi everyone,

i brought some fake aquarium rocks, and they reeked of resin or something...

the guy i brought them of said they where ok to put straight in.

my black bar zeba just keeps swimming up and down and looks stressed.

did i poisen my fish?

*PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE IT IS URGENT*

thanks

take the rocks out ASAP!

Do a small water change and buy some aquasonic bio-aid. It binds any nasty chemicals together and through the magic of chemistry it neutralises it into harmless waste

take the rocks out ASAP!

Do a small water change and buy some aquasonic bio-aid. It binds any nasty chemicals together and through the magic of chemistry it neutralises it into harmless waste

are you sure they are toxic thow?

thanks

The rocks probably arent toxic, but you did add them and the fish got sick. It seems logical to remove them and do what efc01 said.

What kind of rocks are they (brand) and are they new or second hand? They could have been in contact with some toxic and transfered that onto the tank.

The rocks probably arent toxic, but you did add them and the fish got sick. It seems logical to remove them and do what efc01 said.

What kind of rocks are they (brand) and are they new or second hand? They could have been in contact with some toxic and transfered that onto the tank.

all the fish are ok except the black ba zebra and now the maingano (wich are the two biggest cichlids in the tank) are swimming up and down the tank glass and keep popping up to the surfice.

always rinse things before putting them in your tank

it may just be coincidental that the fish are behaving this way

take the fake rocks out and rinse them down with a hose then leave

them in the sun for a couple of days

use some carbon in the filter for a few days and give them a partial

water change this will dilute anything that may have come in with

the rocks

other than that just watch for any behaviour changes

Chris

I agree with everyone else - thorough washing and drying in the sun of anything non-living that is going into a tank. Water change and addition of carbon to the tank.

Hands up whoever has not added something toxic to a tank sometime in their hobby life - I would put my hand up if I could find my car keys in my pockets...haha

my fish are dying, and some dead. cant beleive it. .. he told me they where fint to put striaght in (even though there was in intense smell of resin and well now my fish are dead and dying. im devostated.

is there anything in that tank i can re-use or does everything have to be chucked out?

So how long were the rocks in the tank total?

Did you take them out and do the water change immediately after receiving the advice here?

You can't really blame the seller unless you washed them thoroughly and they still caused problems. They could have sat in a warehouse where someone sprayed insect spray, or many other things which would not really be the sellers fault. All the fake logs and rocks I have seen and used have a 'smell' but they have all been 100% safe. I still always wash things first.

In the end, everything that goes in your tank is your responsibility. Putting something in there without cleaning (even though someone said sure it was clean) is a very simple mistake. Hopefully one you will learn from.

I always wash everythin destined to go into my tank with boilin hot water first then cold water, then tank water then i allow it to dry in the sun as i have done it before back when i first started fishkeepin and have still not forgiven myself for killin all of my fish. Im pretty paranoid about it these days and always wash my hands and arms if im doin a water change or feeding etc. It has probably happened to most of us at some stage or another mate and it does suck.

If they smelled of resin then its likely they poisoned your tank. The seller gave you poor advice IMO. Washing would have helped but I still think you would have problems. It appears whatever they are made out of hadn't fully cured. Its likely it is the coating that caused the problem.

So how long were the rocks in the tank total?

Did you take them out and do the water change immediately after receiving the advice here?

You can't really blame the seller unless you washed them thoroughly and they still caused problems. They could have sat in a warehouse where someone sprayed insect spray, or many other things which would not really be the sellers fault. All the fake logs and rocks I have seen and used have a 'smell' but they have all been 100% safe. I still always wash things first.

In the end, everything that goes in your tank is your responsibility. Putting something in there without cleaning (even though someone said sure it was clean) is a very simple mistake. Hopefully one you will learn from.

yer i should have washed them.. but the guy told me they where ok to put striaght in tot he tank when he dropped them off but i should have known from the smell... but the rocks destroyed my whole setup.

filter sponges and noodles and bioballs, aragonite sand, plants and two E yellows and a mingano.

the electric yellows parents where german inport so it is very sad to see them laying on the sand dead:(

Hey,

Are you absolutely sure it was the rocks that caused this? Have you tested your water for ammonia and the like?

It seems that this tank hasnt been set up for very long (even after a few weeks) and you have a few fish in there. Were they added all at once? Maybe it could have been an ammonia or nitrite spike?

Just seems strange that this could happen because of a plastic rock.

Sorry to hear about you fish mate. Happens to the best of us unfortunately :(

Joel

Hey,

Are you absolutely sure it was the rocks that caused this? Have you tested your water for ammonia and the like?

It seems that this tank hasnt been set up for very long (even after a few weeks) and you have a few fish in there. Were they added all at once? Maybe it could have been an ammonia or nitrite spike?

Just seems strange that this could happen because of a plastic rock.

Sorry to hear about you fish mate. Happens to the best of us unfortunately :(

Joel

mate if you where there to smell the filter sponges and the res of the tank and sand etc. you would have had a heart attack. it smelt toxic enouph to me let alone the fish. all ammonia/nitrite levels where OK.

mate if you where there to smell the filter sponges and the res of the tank and sand etc. you would have had a heart attack. it smelt toxic enouph to me let alone the fish. all ammonia/nitrite levels where OK.

bad news mate!

i think you knew deep down that you should of washed the rocks!

anyways

im with Ducksta

how long has your tank been running ?

filtration ?

stock list?

size of tank?

if you had taken readings such as ph kh amonia nitrate so on please list them with the week from tank started running

only asking this to help you work it out as if it was soming existng you will be wasting your time hunting down this guy for compensation!

and you will run into the same problem again once you start this tank back up

bad news mate!

i think you knew deep down that you should of washed the rocks!

anyways

im with Ducksta

how long has your tank been running ?

filtration ?

stock list?

size of tank?

if you had taken readings such as ph kh amonia nitrate so on please list them with the week from tank started running

only asking this to help you work it out as if it was soming existng you will be wasting your time hunting down this guy for compensation!

and you will run into the same problem again once you start this tank back up

hi foti,

tank has been running for a bit over a month.

the day before, nitrite was 0, ammonia was 0.

beleive me, if you where there you would have known it was the rocks... they where only days old. wich i just found out that is to fresh and it is toxic to fish.

as soon as i put them in the whole tank reeked of them. it made the water cloudy and frothy the next morning...

got it all sorted out know. the tank is going again and the nice guy even took back his rocks and even payed for the fish and some of the sand and filter stuff. just a bit of an accident that i dont think will happen again. all of his rocks are going to be tested now anyway.

thanks

Archived