has my tank finished cycling?

Mitch23

hi everyone,

has my tank finished cycling? - it has been about 2 weeks and nitrite is at 0, ammonia is at 0 and nitrate is at 10.

i have a johanii cichlid in there and he is doing great!

thanks

I disagree, I would say no

One fish in a tank and you still have that level I would think it has a bit to go. I also wouldnt cut back on the feeding. The waste is helping your cycle, not extending it.

Also when you say 10 is it degrees or PPM, that makes a huge difference.

As soon as you add more fish the tank will have a mini-cycle anyways as more bacteria will be needed to cope with the extra bio-load placed on your filters

You probably need to say how long the tank has been cycling for aswell

With zero nitrite and zero ammonia, I always thought that the cycle had finished.

A mini cyle if you add more fish - I very much doubt it unless you intend on immediately overloading the tank with fish. There are already colonies formed in/on the filters and they will react quickly to a steadily increasing bioload.

Josh - just for information, degrees of hardness specifically refers to the concentration of calcium oxide in water (specifically 10 milligrams per litre or 17.848 ppm). So one cannot measure a degree of nitrate in water unless you devise your own definition. BTW given the proper definition of DH as above, the measure of hardness in aquarium water is only approximate as there obviously cannot be full dissociation of calcium carbonate into calcium oxide and carbon dioxide.

Josh - just for information, degrees of hardness specifically refers to the concentration of calcium oxide in water

I did realise that after I wrote it. My mind was off in la-la land. :confused: I thought that I had edited it out, but it now there for the whole world to see :B

Archived