Tank 3d Backgrounds

malawi4me

The time for purchasing my tank is fast approaching and im in the planning stages as to how im setting it up.

I have been searching for a 3d background...not a crappy foam one that joins together in pieces like the Aqua One panels but a really good one much like the AquaTerra ones overseas. Im aware they are not cheap but im struggling to find such a thing in Australia. From memory there were some getting around for a while made of silicon??? Need it to be 84 x 30 in size.

Anyone know of a company that sells them here in oz?

Cheers Rob

Have tried to ring them....no luck there... waiting to see if they answer email..

one shop told me the company was finished as they had gone to tackle the pool business in USA? Is this true?

If this is the case im still lost for where to get a back ground...

I have seen on-line some great displays where they have carved up foam and painted it with cement...looks OK and im guessing the lime in the cement wont harm my cichlids but is it really safe in the aquarium? the cement I mean...

Has anyone here done it and had no dramas?

or any other creative suggestions?

strictly aquariums usually stock universal rocks give them a buzz this site here stocks back to nature but it aint cheap http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/c..._list&c=126

i remeber i saw at auburn pet aquarium center and they had some back to nature backgrounds and universal rock backgrounds too. The back to nature was not cheap give them a buzz or you could go visit them

Auburn Aquarium & Pet Centre

Pet Shops - Auburn, NSW (02) 9648 5200

Address

Domayne Centre 115 Parramatta Rd, Auburn NSW 2144, Australia

This site here stocks aqua terra but thye once quoted me shipping and it was enough to put me off around 800 all up to sydney

http://www.gillsnfins.ca/aquaterra.php

And theres pangea rock backgrounds http://www.pangea.dk/index2.htm

but probably epensive as

Gave them a call at Parramatta...they were supplied by the universal mob who have definatly closed down and all they have it some German imports now that are nowhere near big enough for my 8ft x 2.5ft....

The Bondi store only do a roll out mat style...not sure if they are any good or not.

Im currently after some 3D background for my 10ft x 3 x 2 tank as well.. those 3D backgrounds from Aqua Terra are awesome but they only ship within Canada..

I dont like the rolls supplied by universal rocks.. they are just too plain and simple for my liking..

Guess we dont have much of an option here in Australia..

Bondi store returned my email, sadly they cant supply even the roll at 2.5 high....max of 2ft high.....

NOT GOOD!

So unless I want to pay 3 grand for an imported background to be sent from OS It seems I may have to make the back ground myself....

I don't understand why you are being told Universal Rocks has closed down. Their web site is still up and running; http://www.universalrocks.com.au/

I drove past the other day and half looked as I went and I didn't see anything out of order.

Majestic aquariums sell this stuff as well, and they are a lot closer to you than the other shops you mentioned.

craig

I don't understand why you are being told Universal Rocks has closed down. Their web site is still up and running; http://www.universalrocks.com.au/

I drove past the other day and half looked as I went and I didn't see anything out of order.

Majestic aquariums sell this stuff as well, and they are a lot closer to you than the other shops you mentioned.

craig

Well they dont answer the phone.... and all the shops they supplied are telling me they are closed....A website can run for years after a business closes if its paid upfront..

A local shop told me that they were taking on the pool market in usa...so all signs are pointing towards them being finished... Will call majestic!

Cheers!

Bondi store returned my email, sadly they cant supply even the roll at 2.5 high....max of 2ft high.....

NOT GOOD!

So unless I want to pay 3 grand for an imported background to be sent from OS It seems I may have to make the back ground myself....

You could put the background and have it 15 cms high from the glass base and have no background below and cover it with a black background at the back of the tank and cover the inside non background gap with rocks, driftwood and gravel or have 10 cm thick gravel? i did that for my 4 foot tank as the height of my universal backround was shorter then my tank and it looked alright didnt even notice there was no background at the bottom..........or by 2 rolls of 8 foot by 45 cm and join it up to make it 2 and a half foot? this guy here did it and he had a 70 cm high tank looks pretty neat, check the link here all up it cost him 300 for the background pretty cheap for a 9 foot by 70 cm tank!!!

http://westerncichlids.com.au/9-foot-amazo...ock-background/

craig

Well they dont answer the phone.... and all the shops they supplied are telling me they are closed....A website can run for years after a business closes if its paid upfront..

A local shop told me that they were taking on the pool market in usa...so all signs are pointing towards them being finished... Will call majestic!

Cheers!

I've taken on board what you say, but find it hard to believe as they were singular in their own industry - that is, no competition. How could they not do well enough to stay open?

Please let me know how you get on with Majestic.

i too am in the market for 3d background ,contact jan or helle from pangea their rockyIVbackground (197cm L x60cm H)along with the modular rocks was quoted(if they got their figures right) @just over 500 eu,which to me sounds fair considering the back to nature background from a distributor here in Aust was quoted @ 2 grand ,to gain the extra heightwith the rockyIV you need to prop the background on bricks then use modular rocks to hide them ,i will hold back from purchasing the rockyIV as they have a new one the rockyV being released in about 3 months which will be 80 cm high insted of 60 cm let me know how you went

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

I'd suggest you call Ron at Ronny's Rocks in Penrith.

Ron makes great fake rocks and backgrounds. I have some of his rocks in my display tank.

"Ronny's Rocks"

Phone: 02 47356021

E-Mail : ronnys-rocks@tpg.com.au

Cheers,

Peter

Archived