Royal whip tail pups to feed ?.

pat williamson

Hi I currently have some royal whip tails that are laying eggs every two weeks like clock work. I seperated the last two batches of fry into a fry saver and have only managed to keep approx 4 from each batch alive. I have read that they are lazy eaters does anybody have any techniques they use to feed these litttle fellas that work. I would love to improve the success rate quite a bit. Thanks in advance Pat.

Hi I currently have some royal whip tails that are laying eggs every two weeks like clock work. I seperated the last two batches of fry into a fry saver and have only managed to keep approx 4 from each batch alive. I have read that they are lazy eaters does anybody have any techniques they use to feed these litttle fellas that work. I would love to improve the success rate quite a bit. Thanks in advance Pat.

just wondering what are you feeding them now ?

try zucchini i know that they love algae so maybe in a separate tank were you can place them try incurage alot of algae growth ?

but zocchini is always the best place to start also

Yeah have been feeding zucchini slices pegged to the fry saver near the surface as they tend to congregate near the water line. Some seem to eat it and hence grow but the others ignore it , some web sights suggest that they need animal product as well , and the last batch I tried massaging some fry food into the zucchini and I had some more success but still not great .

just wondering what are you feeding them now ?

try zucchini i know that they love algae so maybe in a separate tank were you can place them try incurage alot of algae growth ?

but zocchini is always the best place to start also

I believe its pretty common for the fry to die off, if not in the first weeks, then in the first months... :cryblow:

I think your best bet is putting the tank in direct sunlight and kick starting the algae growth...

I've also heard of guys putting slate and rock in a plastic tub with a sponge filter, whacking it in front of a window, chucking in some pellets and letting it fester... then take your pick, chuck on in the tank and let the babies graze...

Best of luck...

As we speak a standard 4 footer is being placed in the shed window , hope to get a nice green tank going , thx for the feedback

Grow algae on hardwood sticks which you can rotate. Sticks are easier to move about than baby fish and you can have a constant fresh supply by staggering the start times of sticks/cultures. I put a hole and wire hook on each stick so I can hang them/remove them easily. The older the stick, the easier to re-grow algae since not all the algae is eaten each time.

If your time desperate you can carefully soak vege-spirulina flake on flat rocks then dry them out again in the sun. This makes a spirulina coated rock quickly.

I have 60,00L of green water....no help to you (I am in Perth), but if you know someone who has let their swimming pool go, maybe that'd work for you.

Andrea :)

I've used enriched freshly hatched brine shrimp to raise LG6 whiptails in the past, but I have mates who swear by using spirulina to feed whiptail fry, even spouting >90% survival rates. Spirulina is dried algae and readily available at chemists ect. but is a little expensive. I'd definately try it if I was raising whiptails again.

Archived